News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brand new 2-8-0 DCC not working correctly

Started by Judah Ben-Hur, May 12, 2012, 06:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judah Ben-Hur

I just purchased a brand new 2-8-0 with DCC On Board yesterday and so far it has been a very frustrating experience.  I intially put it on a DC test track and with a little prodding, it would do a little buzzing, jerky movements, and just sit there.  My first thought was "I bought a dud."  Off to the DCC track we go.  I went through all the programming steps on my NCE PowerCab like I've done on all my other locomotives (Atlas & Bachmann).  It came up with a Manufacturer 101 & Version 046.  I noticed some different numbers that initally came up like 010 for Start Voltage and 255 for Max Voltage.  There was also a 255 for PWM (spelling?).  The locomotive just sat there and buzzed.  I went in and changed Start 001, Mid 128, Max 192, and PWM to 000.  It would only run backwards with a little downward pressure and it buzzed really bad.  It sounded like bad gear mesh to me.  It would not run forward without backing up for a bit and then going forward.  I gave it a drop of oil but the gears still sound horrible.  At this point, it sits off the track and the operator is wondering what's next.  My second thought is "I bought a dud."

What CV numbers does this loco need?

What is up with the gears?

Does it accept long adresses like #2514?

What is the factory reset CV numbers?

What's next? 

kmcsjr

Judah B

Heres paperwork on that decoder
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Reset CV 8 = 8
They do set CV 2 to 10 on all decoders. Some you can drop to 0 and get great creep. Some I've dropped to 0 and ended up bringing back to 10 or above.
If PVM or PWM is on CV52, it has to do with light dimming. 255 is max brightness.
It should take a long address.

I have a few Spectrum steamers, including this one. they are all good quiet runners. What you describe is either a dud, or something is stuck inside. This is a great site for loco tips. http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/spec280.html

I'd have a quick look at the gears, for anything jammed and then give Bachmann a call. If you bought it new as in, you have a Warranty, Bachmann will repair it free. At worst, Bachmann will repair it for a small fee. If you end up using BMann warranty service, IMHO, they are very good, but I caution patience and a willingnes to send it back twice. I have had two locos go back twice and in the end they are great locos. I fix things for a living, sometimes it takes 2 shots.

Judah Ben-Hur

I'll go downstairs and try the reset numbers. 

skipgear

What you are describing has nothing to do with the decoder. It sounds mechanical if you can push down on the loco and it tries to move.

There is a screw directly below the cab that hold the motor in. Check to see if it is loose. Don't over tighten it, just run it up till snug then check to make sure the loco doesn't run with a bind.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

Judah Ben-Hur

Ok, I did a reset and remembered the other strange number that came up before was 001 for Mid Voltage.  I left it there.  It wouldn't seem like it would run like that.  The loco does respond better as far a getting a "signal" but still needs a push and it doesn't like to go forward unless backing up a ways then going forward.  The loud gear sound is still there running by itself or pulling 13 cars up a short little grade.   

I seen another post about the bottom screws.  I'll give that a whirl.

Judah Ben-Hur

Forgot to add:  it looks like Mid & Max voltages are not supported anyway.