Anticipating the NMRA Convention

Started by jonathan, May 04, 2012, 08:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

It may seem a bit premature to start thinking about the upcoming NMRA Convention in July.  However, it's been on my mind.  Last year, the folks at Bachmann really wowed us with some great new offerings.  I am enjoying my EM-1s.  Seems like the new sound-valued locos are a hit.  From reading some of the posts in other scales, seems everyone got a little something they were hoping for.

What can everyone be hoping for this year?

1. I would love to see a RTR caboose to go with the EM1; an I-1, I-5, I-12 or I-17 would be great.  No one has ever done a prototypical RTR B&O caboose (except bra$$).  I know that may be too much of a niche market.  I can dream, however. Wagon-top covered hoppers would be a bonus, too.

2. I like the sound-value concept.  The ever-popular 2-8-0 would be a great candidate for a sound-value version.  OR... bring back the Heavy/Light USRA Mountain with sound value.  Actually any of the diesel offerings would be great with some affordable sound.

3. While a Spectrum, USRA Mikado/Pacific would be nice (good modification possibilities), I know others have done it, so probably not gonna happen.

4.  For the N scalers, I hope they get their EM-1.  The 2-6-6-2 made the transition after all.  Why not the yellowstone? Hoping you get your wish, Skipgear.

Like I said, this may be a bit early, but perhaps we can vent our dreams a little bit.  I put this post in Genereal Discussion, so members from all scales could weigh in... if so desired.  Just had to get these thoughts out of my head so I can focus on other things, like building rocks and installing signal systems.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

john tricarico

be patient it will come time for new announcements

Pops

I just joined NMRA, so it's all new to me.  Do the manufacturers have displays there?
Dealers also?

???

Doneldon

Pops-

Absolutely YES!! The NMRA has displays and merchandise from everybody who manufactures for the model railroading hobby, as well as tool companies, video companies and even a few odd-ball things like you might see on late night TV. The producers have their wares working so you can see just what an electric arc welder in a factory looks like from outside, whether a turntable indexes accurately or what are the different flashing patterns for the electric signs sold by Miller Manufacturing. In short: Everything in model railroading. But that's not all. There are also tons of operating layouts on site, a flea market, home layout tours, excellent workshops, railfan trips, neat excursions for the modeler and his/her spouse, and lots of time to schmooze with fellow hobbyists. It's really a big deal. Thursday through Sunday may sound like a long stretch but, believe me, you won't have any trouble filling your time.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

jonathan

...and the best part:

All the major manufacturers, including Bachmann, unveils their new items for the fall/winter.

(cue music)  ..."An- ti- ci- pa-a-tion is making me wait"... (sic)

R,

JV

J3a-614

Jonathan, I don't think those B&O cabooses would be as specialized as you might think, particularly the bay-window wagontop jobs.  Most of them, and a surprising number of the wooden ones, lasted well into the diesel era.  Some of the wagontops lasted long enough to get Chessie paint in the 1970s.

Something that lasted that long, covering for modelers in both steam and diesel eras, should be a good seller, even if lettered for only one road and its successors.

http://www.trainweb.org/chessie/902434cs-b&o.jpg

http://www.madrivermuseum.org/gallery/equipment/bo_caboose.jpg

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures%5C35988%5CBOC2451PocopsonPA30110.jpg

http://image10.webshots.com/10/9/24/20/140792420ElyLbP_ph.jpg

Pops

Quote from: Doneldon on May 06, 2012, 12:02:26 AM
Pops-

Absolutely YES!! The NMRA has displays and merchandise from everybody who manufactures for the model railroading hobby, as well as tool companies, video companies and even a few odd-ball things like you might see on late night TV. The producers have their wares working so you can see just what an electric arc welder in a factory looks like from outside, whether a turntable indexes accurately or what are the different flashing patterns for the electric signs sold by Miller Manufacturing. In short: Everything in model railroading. But that's not all. There are also tons of operating layouts on site, a flea market, home layout tours, excellent workshops, railfan trips, neat excursions for the modeler and his/her spouse, and lots of time to schmooze with fellow hobbyists. It's really a big deal. Thursday through Sunday may sound like a long stretch but, believe me, you won't have any trouble filling your time.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Thanks, that's neat.  I'll have to reconsider.  The NMRA website just listed clinics and tours.  That didn't seem to justify (to me) the cost of traveling half way cross the country.  But, maybe - - -

:o

Joe323

I am thinking about stopping by the con is in Grand Rapids MI so I can stop on my way to Chicago.  Whats a good place to stay overnight?