News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

marker lens colors

Started by blf, May 13, 2012, 03:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blf

Any one know what colos were used on the caboose markers for the C&O and N&W. Bill

Len

Bill,

What time period are you looking for? It makes a difference.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

during the chessie system era, b&o, which was part of the system along with c&o, used red to the rear, green to the sides.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

blf

Sorry; should have known better. The circa I'm after is post WW2 till the end of steam. I only have steam locos for the B&O, C&O,PRR and N&W. Have a full collection of PRR, and will try to answer any PRR related questions. Bill

Len

Bill,

What I found is kerosene fired lamps generally had a red lens facing to the rear and a yellow lens on the other openings. The B&O at times used a red rear, green to the sides and front, at the front of the caboose.

When they began electrifying, the N&W put red and green lamps on the roof ends in the pattern (R)(G)-----(G)(R). The rear of the caboose would have the red lamps lit, the front would be green. All three also started putting a red lamp in the center of the roof end of steel cabooses and post steam rebuilt wood cabooses.

Len

blf

Thank you Len; that helps quite a bit. Bill

blf

Thanks every one for the input to this question. Here is what I have learned so far. B&O; one red three green, C&O one red three amber ( just received a response from the C&O society, And MR.Thomas Dixon Jr. responded with a copy of pages from the C&O hand book, Chesapeake Division showing the different positions for different applications for freight and pass operations) and the Kohs & company, makers of exquisite 0 gauge scale equipment, show red on all four sides of the lighted markers on there N&W cabooses for the old removable type. I tend to believe they know what they are doing, as there models are unbelievable. Check there site out to see what I mean. Bill

Len

Bill,

The historical info for the N&W off the NS site shows one red, three amber, the same as the C&O. I also found pics of B&O house cars with the same lanterns on the rear.

I'm suspecting there may have been some flexibility with this, depending on location and time period.

Len

blf

Thanks Len; think likewise about circa and location. There was no date on the cover of the book sent to me and mention of this possibility was mentioned. the drawings used for the passenger car end was a light weight design. Have most of the videos and CD's from Herron on the N&W and can not tell, except that all sides of lanterns appear very dark and the same color when not lit. That's why I assumed the model pictures were correct, though even common sense dictates it isn't. Bill