News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GG1 engine won't run!

Started by mikemarxs, December 28, 2011, 01:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikemarxs

I unpacked my semi scale Williams GG1 from storage, removed the cardboard packing, put it on the track, and you guessed it, it won't run! The engine's horn "squacks"  and the engine barely moves. I tried it with my CW80 and with the ZW and got the same results, it doesn't run. I don't know if the engine is running without lubrication. I am at a loss. Can it be repaired?? Please help me get my favorite engine back on the rails

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA USA writes,

I have never heard of this kind of problem with Williams locos. Is your GG1 brand new, or is it a year or more old ? I would certainly grease and oil the major moving parts such as the wheels, axles, and gears, as well as the worm gear on the motors and the drive gears on the axles. I would also inspect the wiring, the motors, and the circuit boards for the horn and reverse unit. It might be that the loco has faulty horn and reverse boards (just a guess though) or perhaps one or more wires may have "cold" solder joints. Are you using an original Postwar Lionel ZW or a modern reproduction ZW ?

Hope this helps.

JP
Sincerely: JP

phillyreading

Have you looked at the wheels? You could have dirty wheels and center rail pick-up roller that needs cleaning and/or a lubrication.
Also try to power your GG-1 directly from the transformer to see if you might have a track problem.

Lee F.

mikemarxs

The GG1 that gave me all that trouble with its strange noises, slow running, etc has given me another surprise. I oiled the gears and cleaned the wheels, and then packed it away. I recently reopened the box and placed it on the track. To my surprise and relief, it is running quietly and smoothly. I can't explain how this happened, but it's running well.

phillyreading

Quote from: mikemarxs on May 08, 2012, 11:13:43 AM
The GG1 that gave me all that trouble with its strange noises, slow running, etc has given me another surprise. I oiled the gears and cleaned the wheels, and then packed it away. I recently reopened the box and placed it on the track. To my surprise and relief, it is running quietly and smoothly. I can't explain how this happened, but it's running well.

You gave the oil time to sink in and lubricate things.

Lee F.