News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO scale snow material?

Started by TrainLegend150, May 08, 2012, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainLegend150

Hello! I was just wondering, if someone wanted to get some snow-like material for their HO scale layout, what material would you suggest?

phillyreading

For an H.O. race car track, I used cotton stapled to the plywood (with a household staple gun) and glitter in a bag and used hair spray to keep the glitter in place.
Bought the materials from a crafts store, except the hairspray.

Spray snow looks good, but I don't know how easy it would be to remove if you want to do a differant scene at a later date.

Lee F.

Terry Toenges

You could also try white batting.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jerrys HO

TL150

I have used the Woodland Scenics Snow for my kids projects. Easy to use and looks good.

A neighbor bought some of that instant snow while on vacation and brought me a couple of packs. It also works well just make sure you use a big enough container when you add the water as it does expand A LOT.

Jerry

Johnson Bar Jeff

When I set up for Christmas, I just cover the table top with an old white flannel sheet. I have some thin, white foam-kinda thing from the craft store that comes in little sheets like felt--I don't know what it's called--that I cut into strips for "packed, snow-covered" roadways and paths. I have trees that came with snow already on them  ::) and I just ignore that there is no snow on the roofs of buildings.  ::)

Keusink

Our Polar Express (HO) set goes up on the dining room table in November (you'll wonder where we eat in the meantime). It has permanent snow, created by a commercial scenery product company.

The reason I add to this post is that I found the snow effect was greatly enhanced by adding liberal amounts of white glitter. It sparkles and shines realistically, like snow in the sun. White glitter is available almost everywhere.

Chris