Is there a chance of reselling the Remote Control Bascule Bridge in HO scale?

Started by BasBdge7, May 08, 2012, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasBdge7

Quite a few years ago Bachmann sold a Remote Control Bascule Bridge in HO scale. It was one of only a few bascule (drawbridge) that have been sold, and the train approaching the bridge automatically stopped when the bridge was open. Any train that  approached the closed bridge, (using tracks that went underneath the bridge), stopped when the bridge was in the down position.

Is there any chance that Bachmann could bring back the bridge and sell some more, as it is very difficult to find it anymore and no other company has sold anything like it, except Walthers and their out-of-production bascule bridge did not have an automatic train stopping system when the bridge was open.

the Bach-man

Dear BB7,
I don't know if we have the tooling, but I'll pass along your request.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Desertdweller

Does anyone know if there is a prototype for a Bascule Bridge that carries one railroad over another?  All the ones I've ever seen or heard of were built to carry railroads or vehicle roads over waterways.  The bridge had to be raised to clear masts on ships.

Using a Bascule Bridge would be a very expensive way of achieving grade separation.   A cheaper and common way of doing that is to simply raise the grade of the upper track, lower the grade of the lower track, or both.

I think it would look very odd to use a Bascule Bridge or any other type of moveable bridge without a navigable waterway beneath it.

I worked on a railroad that crossed a navigable waterway.  It was a vertical lift bridge.  Going on the premise that it is easier to stop a train than stop a ship or barge tow, the bridge was kept in the lifted position until it was needed for railroad traffic.  A call to the Coast Guard would determine if water traffic was approaching ( a marine radio tuned to Channel 16 was also available).  If no water traffic was approaching, the bridge would be lowered just long enough to let the train pass, then was restored immediately.

Les