News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noisey Forney

Started by joePlatin, May 11, 2012, 01:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joePlatin

I have a brand new Forney with about 8hrs of running time.  It tracks like a champ, just crawls along steady and smooth.  However, in forward motion there is a very loud almost static like sound.  I can't determine if it's electrical or mechanical in nature.  It is much quieter in reverse.  It's becoming so loud that even with the sound turned on I hear the noise.  Any thoughts?

NarrowMinded

lube it and run it backwards for a while see if it clears it up...

Also are you running dcc or dc? if your running dcc try it on dc and see if the noise goes away if it does it's electrical from the AC used in dcc, it's a sound decoder so I assume it's a tsunami which should run the loco's motor quiet, but have you changed any of the decoder setting? maybe some that may affect the motor controls?

NM-Jeff

joePlatin

Thanks Jeff.  I do run DCC but have not changed any decoder settings.  I'll take all your suggestions and see what happens.  Appreciate the help!  I should say that at very slow speeds (at which I prefer to run the trains) the noise is considerably less and tolerable.     

jpipkin

My Forney has had a growl since I got it several years ago.  Tried just about everything. Like yours it runs great but it is the noisiest locomotive I have.