Time line question..Bach Man?

Started by conradin, July 26, 2007, 07:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conradin

I'd like to know when did Bachmann start producing N scale trains.  I read somewhere that they started in 1968, but I am not sure anymore.

I have most of the catalogs, but also one undated old catalog.  The N scale numbering system is different in the undated old catalog and the 1969 one.
I also know that the system in 1969 continued and evolved into numbering systems that was not the undated old catalog system.

I now know that any item that comes with the white jewel case is from the era of that undated old catalog.  Any blue or Black jewel case is from 1969 and onwards.  The proof is the items inside the white jewel cases that list their own catalog number, which correspond to the old undated catalog items.

I have never seen any catalogs that is dated earlier than 1969, except the one undated one that I know is dated no later than 1969.  Any Bachmann catalogs that I have seen that were dated before 1969 are Plasticville catalogs.

One of the key reasons why I ask is that, during a recent repair, I find out that items that come from the white jewel case era actually has a different mold to the items that come from the blue or black case eras (1969 onwards) (which in turns is different from the 1980s and 90s, and the modern day ones).  I tried to exchange trucks from a blue case era car to a white case era car, and found out that the screws do not match.  Nor are the trucks under close examinations.  Also, it seems to me that any white case era cars do not have "Made in Hong Kong" printed at the underside of the car, while the blue or black case eras do. even though they look very similar.

the Bach-man

Dear Conradin,
It was certainly in that time period, but I can't recall exactly. I do remember my first Bachmann loco was a B&O GP-40.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

conradin

Do you think someone in the office will know, or have old documents that detailed that?  Ginny did tell me they do not have old catalogs though.

Or should I write to Kader?

the Bach-man

Dear Conradin
That was back when the company was still Bachmann Bros., and none of the current management team was there.
You can try writing, but magazines from the era should help as well.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r.cprmier

Wasn't there a connection between Aurora "Postage Stamp Trains', and Bachmann back then?  From what I remember, both products were so similar that they could have had the same parents...(PS:; Both product lines were JUNK! back then.  Thankfully, most N-scale product has improved a thousand fold since then.)

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

GlennW

The Aurora "Postage Stamp Trains" were made by Trix or "Minitrix" in West Germany. AFAIK they have no relation to any Bachmann product. It is possible some of the Rocco molds were picked up by Atlas.

Importing the Trix models may have as many twists as any Harry Potter book until they were bought by Marklin in 2000. There may still be some unsold MP units in hobby shops around the country.

For early Nscale, the models & trackwork were not junk. I still have some 7.5" curves leading to an industrial area. The FM switcher makes a good little puller.

r.cprmier

Glenn;
On a comparitive scale, early N-scale was junk!  I am not only comparing it to todays satandards; but, having owned a bunch of it, I found it to be pretty bad.  an esample was the three-pole motors they used.  ANother example was the grossly oversized flanges and wheel widths; another was the inaccuracies and poor quality of lettering; then there was the track and turnouts... etc etc etc.  Junk!!
Oh, Incidentally; this is just my opinion, but it is shared by a lot of heads out there, so there has to be something to it.
Today, there is not only a large quantity of equiment to choose from, but the quality is astronomically better; in some cases, the best in the business.  Perhaps I am being overly harsh in someone elses opinion; but, if we could put a man on the moon back in ...

RIch
Rich

conradin

hey, if you have any of those old vintage bachman N scale junk, can you spare some for me? ;D

r.cprmier

hey, if you have any of those old vintage bachman N scale junk, can you spare some for me?
Conradin;
Word of advice?  Don't wast your money on that stuff unless you are buying it as in making a collection; If you want quality, buy what is available and produced today.  Buying that stuff would be like someone wanting to buy old HO Megow or Strombecker stuff-wit hthe wooden wheelsets and running it on the layout.  OK for just collecting; but if you want to run it on your railroad, buy good quality equipment.   Take it for what it is worth.

RIch
Rich