Update for HO Thomas, Percy and James

Started by GTPS2, May 12, 2012, 04:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTPS2

Dear Bachmann

Are you planning on updating your HO Thomas, Percy and James models that you made back in 2002? There not too bad, it's just that the first three HO Thomas models you made have some flaws in them.

You HO Thomas, Percy and James model's has bodies that makes them look like there TV Series looks, but there are a few flaws in the first 3.

HO Thomas' the face isn't very TV Series accurate, which can be the same for your HO Percy and James models.

HO Percy doesn't have any windows at the back of his cab and doesn't have a dummy coupling hook at his back bumper beam.

HO James' Wheels are grey instead of black and the bottom part of James' smoke box is left Red.

Let's not forget that your HO Thomas, Percy and James models are all missing front couplings.

I apologize for bashing you or anything, it's just that I think your Large Scale versions of Thomas, Percy and James look better then your HO ones. Here are some differences between Thomas, Percy and James in your HO scale models and your Large Scale ones.

HO Thomas:

Large Scale Thomas:

HO Percy:

Large Scale Percy:

HO James:

Large Scale James:

I don't know if this can be call a request, I would like to see a big update on your HO Thomas, Percy and James models.

Yours truly, GTPS2

Cupix the Azelf

I think the faces were based on promotional art.
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.

ClearwtaerMK2

SnowflakeTH did a similar thread about this.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on May 15, 2012, 06:53:03 AM
SnowflakeTH did a similar thread about this.
And the more people doing these kinds of threads, suggestions, etc. shows HiTs marketing that more and more people want this kind of update.

Cirkit:)

Indeed.
It's very likely that all three locos were based heavily on the '3D' promo art from the time(I have some playing cards with that kind of promo art), instead of on the promotional pictures or any screenshots of the models from the show, and I think too that it is time the three first models got an update, as well as Annie, Clarabel, and maybe the two Troublesome Trucks.

Like SnowflakeTH said before, they have the plans and means to use the large-scale model's blueprints to update the HO/OO scale locos/stock, all they(Bachmann) have to do is do it.  Especially to James. I mean, that engine is massive compared to the TV series model, or even to the CG model! He just towers over Gordon, and that spot by the smokebox.. but I digress.

Calebtrain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebtrain

I am always willing to help the best way I can. :)

SodorAdventures

Just so you all know, there are only few changes in the large scale, and mostly because it larger, making it easier too add that little more detail.

Here are the 3 I found:

• faces(granted that's a nice change to have)
  • open cab, definitely not possible for ho scale
  • colored front and back hooks

Unfortunately there are not enough differences to make a whole design and assembly line instructions for those 3 or 4 changes. -Tanner
Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Cheeky_ULP

You're completely missing the point. Part of an "Update" includes front couplers, and new, reliable chassis' that compare to Diesel, Donald, and Douglas.

To add, Percys HO chassis design is entirely wrong, Thomas and Percy both suffer from having their boiler bands stick out too much (which on the actual show models, lack boiler bands on Percy and are instead just painted on), Percys cab windows are entirely non-existant, James has many paint errors that everyone knows by now, inaccurate lantern designs, cheaper whistle molds (whistle molds began to get better starting with Edward), funnels lack the connecting curve to the smoke box, the lack of gap above Thomas's splasher, James' more rounded boiler which ends closer to the splashers (which isn't so on the LS model and TV series), all three engines lack front couplers as said before, and all three have poor hauling chassis' that don't compare at all to the newer Bachmann engines.

I'm sure there's a few other details I'm overlooking too.

All of the detail added to the Large Scale engines is completely possible in HO by today standards. There's a lot of differences between the Large Scale and HO range, the differences are subtle though, yet make a big difference in the overall result.

With a new chassis for the three engines, also means that the interior can be entirely redone to make maintenance on the locomotives like oiling wheels, or taking apart the engine much more user friendly. It's an opportunity I wouldn't want to see missed.

Open cabs are entirely possible for HO/OO scale, it hasn't been done for the Thomas range though. Bachmann UKs own 57xx model has one:

Even the Hornby Duck has an open cab.

Same case with the Dapol Pug and Hornby (ex Dapol) Terrier

It's not a matter of possibility, it's just a matter of if it's something Bachmann wants to put onto their tank engines. Henry, Gordon, Edward, Spencer, Emily, Donald and Douglas already have open cabs.

The unreliable, annoying to disassemble chassis should be enough reason for Bachmann to redo the models to give the public one that is truly representative of their new products. Bachmann has it in them.

If people want these revisions to happen, then demand needs to increase, because money talks. When I mean revisions, I imagine entirely new HO/OO models of Thomas, Percy and James that are more representative of the characters, like the Large scale models are.  Putting down and dismissing the possibility isn't going to help.

SodorAdventures

Look, Im as much hoping for an update to happen as you are, but looking at this from a realistic standpoint, its not going to happen. Have you notices the engines with no open cab are the short engines who need the space for their motors (i.e.: Bill and Ben, Diesel) , and then you expect them to make the motor stronger? Im sticking up for Bachmann on this one. You must realize that these updates you say are contradictory of each other. As for the paint changes, I am sticking to the fact that the updates would not be beneficial from a selling standpoint. Even if they did have an open cab, and granted, your right that Duck has an open cab, and is only slightly larger, it would raise the cost of the engine substantially because they would need people to cut the molds and buy more detailed molds. As for James, the wheels not painted black has (probably) been because people would be needed to paint the mold, or dip the mold in paint.

Most changes are not economically smart to do.        Just my opinion.
                                                                                                                                                                -Tanner

Are you ready for Dover Valley's Facelift?

Visit our official site for more info:
                    http://www.sodoradventuresonline.com

Calebtrain

Eh, I'm sorta sittin' on the fence between this.  :-\

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: SodorAdventures on May 15, 2012, 09:57:42 PM
Look, Im as much hoping for an update to happen as you are, but looking at this from a realistic standpoint, its not going to happen. Have you notices the engines with no open cab are the short engines who need the space for their motors (i.e.: Bill and Ben, Diesel) , and then you expect them to make the motor stronger? Im sticking up for Bachmann on this one. You must realize that these updates you say are contradictory of each other. As for the paint changes, I am sticking to the fact that the updates would not be beneficial from a selling standpoint. Even if they did have an open cab, and granted, your right that Duck has an open cab, and is only slightly larger, it would raise the cost of the engine substantially because they would need people to cut the molds and buy more detailed molds. As for James, the wheels not painted black has (probably) been because people would be needed to paint the mold, or dip the mold in paint.

Most changes are not economically smart to do.        Just my opinion.
                                                                                                                                                                -Tanner

Changes Take N Play, Track Master, etc. do out of the wazoo are not economically smart? Leokimvideo has shown that there's an insane amount of different Thomas' just in the Take N Play range. Even Hornby has changed their Thomas' face a few times, and Percys mold got updated at one point to hide the ex-wind up parts.

Sure it costs cheaper to make those toys, but they've constantly done revisions so much that by now the development cost for all those revisions surely compares to the development of a Bachmann model revision.

You're saying they're contradictory, but not explaining why, yet I explain that if people are demanding newer versions of Thomas, Percy, and James, then that shows there's people demanding a product. If the market is made aware of new versions of Thomas, Percy and James, then it influences people to buy the newer versions, even those who have the current Thomas, Percy and James will surely want one that has a better hauling power and more accurate to the show!

You keep focusing on this one little cab thing, but not focus on my main points, such as a powerful efficient chassis. An open cab is such a small minor, optional point that I only brought out other examples because you said it wasn't possible to do in OO. I didn't even assume that they would have an open cab in OO, since no other non-tender engines have, until you brought up the possibility. It'd be nice, designing a mold with an open cab isn't hard to do, since some engines in the range already do (but their cabs are "closed" by a separate covering to hide the chassis). Focus on the bigger picture here, please. I'm not here to worry about cabs, I'm wanting efficient, more accurate models.

As for new motors, of course! I'm hoping for entirely new models of Thomas, Percy and James done with the Large Scale tooling tooled down, and a newly designed chassis for OO/HO track. You're pointing out the obvious. Revisions means an entirely new, revised model of Thomas, Percy and James that takes nothing from its previous versions.

And yes, they're already painting most of the mold on James. They do it for Edward, Henry, Gordon, etc. There's nothing that makes James some sort of special "complicated" engine that can't be painted accurately.

If you want an update too, then why are you trying to bring out reasons for it to NOT happen? If you want them, then show support for this. If you don't want them to, give Bachmann plenty more reasons to consider not giving us revisions.

To add, HiT has been pushing for CGI to be in the HO/OO range, and what would be a better way to start it off than by redoing Thomas, Percy and James to be in their CGI designs?

Bucksco

There are no plans to update these items.

Calebtrain

gwr duck

not really because thay r just toys  ::)
but im selling all my ho engines and getting the g gauge 1s coz my garden is big and im making brendam docks with cranky and tidmouth sheds and a very long express line 4 the engines

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Yardmaster on May 16, 2012, 08:28:35 AM
There are no plans to update these items.
Thanks for the info! It would be nice if someday that could change.