News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-4-0 Prototype

Started by Hamish K, July 29, 2007, 10:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

I would be interested in hearing from Lee Riley as to the prototype for the 4-4-0. From the various photos published it appears to be not exactly a Mt Gretna loco (were all 3 identical?). We were told that it was similar to the Mt Gretna locos, not that it was a model of a Mt Gretna loco.

Also it appears to differ a bit from the Brazilian loco to which I posted a link. I didn't expect that that would be that prototype, I published that link as I had the URL and it was a generally similar loco. I know there were other small inside frame 4-4-0s that were exported to various places. Is the model based on a particular prototype? If it is a 'catalogue' loco are any details available, e.g. date of catalogue, known examples etc.?

Thanking you in anticipation

Hamish 

ebtnut

Not having seen the pilots, I can't judge exactly, but it appears that the model is very close to the Mt. Gretna locos.  Take off the sand dome and they look VERY close.  I personally might have chosen something a bit larger, maybe something by Porter.  MMI is going to do the Baldwin 8-18C, which should keep the 3-foot modelers content.  I'll have to see one for real, but I suspect it won't fit in with my particular needs.  I don't recall that any of the Maine roads had any conventional 4-4-0's, though Aerial and Puck were technially designed that way.

scottychaos

Quote from: ebtnut on July 29, 2007, 12:05:21 PM
  I don't recall that any of the Maine roads had any conventional 4-4-0's, though Aerial and Puck were technially designed that way.

Correct, none of the maine 2-footers had conventional 4-4-0's.
and yes, the Aerial and Puck were intended to be 4-4-0T's.
"Forneys running in reverse" if you will.
they did operate that way on the B&B, but the Sandy River "turned them back around" and made the boiler-end the "front"..which was technically a bad move, as they operated better as 4-4-0's, since they were designed that way.

the only "conventional" non-forney types (with a seperate tender) that the Maine 2-footers owned were only of two wheel arrangements, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2.

Scot

terry2foot

Scot,

be careful about "Forneys in reverse".

Note that the original configuration of Ariel and Puck on the B&B, ie 4 wheel truck forward, cylinders and smokebox at the rear is the basis of the Forney patent.

The SR&RL rebuild with cylinders and smokebox forward and 4 wheel truck at the rear means they are operating in reverse (to the patent).

What complicates this issue is that the locomotives were still designed by Forney so perhaps the correct designation for the SR&RL locomotives is designed by Forney, but not conforming to the Forney patent.

Terry2foot.

The patent can be viewed on line, there was a reference to it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MaineOn2/message/3447,  for others Matthias Forney's original patent (number 52406) can be viewed on the US Patent Agency's website (Google "us patent" to find the site).

Royce Wilson

I have to admit that when this model was announced was kinda taken back. ???

I then found the plans for the Mt.Gretna 4-4-0 in the May/June 2002 issue of the NG&SL Gazette.
It did not take long to see that while this engine may not be what I personally had dreamed for, it is what most On30 guys will want after they see this model.
I think Lee Riley is a genius for this pick, because Bachmann is in bussiness to sell models world wide and most of these modelers just do not have the space to run large engines regardless of their income.

Bachmann thanks for all you have done for the hobby ,not just On30 and yes I will be purchasing a Mt.Gretna engine.
                                                                         Royce Wilson  ;D

Hamish K

As well as the extra dome some who have seen the model have suggested that the driver spacing may wider than that of the Mt Gretna locos, e.g. ksivilis in the positive comments thread below. From the photos it does look a bit that way, although hard to be sure. For this reason I was interested in some official comment as to the prototype.

I like the loco, I would have had no use for a large 3 foot style 4-4-0 such as the Large Scale model, but this little loco will be right at home on my little freelance line.

Bachmann couldn't please everybody with a 4-4-0, a small loco like this doesn't please those modelling the larger 3 foot roads however a large loco would not have pleased those modelling small industrial roads, those with little space and those regarding their layouts as 30 inch or two foot gauge.

Hamish
Hamish

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The loco is a Baldwin catalog loco. It is similar to the Mt. Gretna loco, but it has two domes, not one. If you were the president of a 30" gauge railroad, you would have ordered from the catalog by choosing driver size, boiler, cab, domes, etc., and it would be assembled from parts "off the shelf", which is how the original Mt. Gretna loco was built in such a short time.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Ken

Regardless of protoype, may have to convert one to a Hudswell Clarke
(SN411 1893) for operation on my Columbian division. Looking forward to
when they arrive. Have an OF kit for possible use to convert the second     one to a VFOM 4-4-0. <G>.

Ken
     GWN