News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Question concerning the 4-6-0

Started by VTBob, May 16, 2012, 02:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

Hello,

I have searched without understanding about tender swaps. I have a 4-6-0 first run spectrum loco. A failed sound decoder install (MRC plug & run) has fried the factory circut board. Can I use the small, 4 axle vandy tender with this locomotive? Switching boards is not an option because the board is fried, & is too big to fit into the vandy tender anyway.

Thanks for your time,
Vermont Bob
(just starting to get back into the hobby after more then a year's vacation from it all)
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

rogertra

If the board is fried, then unfortunately you need to get another board.  I know, stating the bleeding obvious.  :(

Dunno if the board in the Vandy tender will work the 4-6-0.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Which size 4-6-0 do you have? Large drive wheels or small drive wheels?

VTBob

R. Montanye

VTBob

Is there a way to remove the board entirly & make this a strictly DC-powered locomotive? I have no use for the Digital stuff for what & where I use this engine.

Thanks,
Vermont Bob
R. Montanye

richg

If you are good at soldring, just hard wire for DC. No idea if the Vandy has any kind of connectors that will match the loco.
There are quite a few Spectrum tenders on ebay and The Favorite Spot is a good seller that I have bought from.

Rich

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

So why not just order a whole new tender chassis and use that. Get it with out the decoder so it is just regular DC.

richg

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on May 17, 2012, 03:45:27 PM
So why not just order a whole new tender chassis and use that. Get it with out the decoder so it is just regular DC.

What actually burned up on the PC board?
I have this loco and I do know the PC board has two wire wound inductors. I suspect those might have burned up. But the burning question is, why?
Better do some trouble shooting before using the sound decoder again or did the decoder also smoke. We need more info to prevent this from happening again.
Some individuals have burned up more than one decoder because they did not do any troubleshooting. No idea on what your level of electronic experience is.
Do you know how to use a multimeter on the ohms scale for tracing wire connections?
Try not to assume with DCC.

Rich

VTBob

Found out why it didn't run after I removed the decoder. Forgot to reinstall the dummy 8-pin plug.

The MRC sound decoder (EZ-Sound) burned up the 2 once-yellow caps on the board. I won't be using the sound decoder again. I will keep this one loco dcc-free. My level of experience is intermediate. My first sound decoder install was when Bachmann's 3 truck shay first came out. I bought the soundtraxx unit & drilling through both frames to run the wires with the equiptment I had was the most nerve racking experience to date. imagine holding a full sized powerdrill between your legs while you held the tiny frame is your hands, carefully guiding it down on the drill bit. I didn't have all the nice n fancy tools I have now, so I had to make do with what I had.

To this date that shay has given me absolutley zero trouble. :)

The MRC sound decoder I had turns out to be very underpowered for this application & has been known to pop caps (as the guy at Tony's Trains told me) I might use a soundtraxx down the road, but for right now, I rather enjoy the silence on normal DC power.
R. Montanye

ryeguyisme

trainworld has vandy tenders for $10-$15 on sale