How To-Fit Decoder to M.Power 0-4-0 Tender Loco

Started by Sunshine Express, May 23, 2012, 09:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunshine Express

Can the forum assist with some instructions to fit  a decoder to my Model Power 0-4-0 Tender Switcher please?. It is near new,and runs well.I have fitted pick-ups by using Kadee Centering Springs as per instructions previously,and it no longer stalls on points. Thanks Owen Robinson
Owen C Robinson

richg

A Digitrax DZ125 is a quite small decoder good for 1 amp that I use in a couple Bachmann locos. I just followed the instructions that come with the decoder. It is about the diameter of a dime.
Just make sure the only wires connected to the motor leads are the gray and orange decoder wires.

Rich

Sunshine Express

Thanks for that,but I am a bit slow on steam decoders.Does it go in the tender ?
Owen C Robinson

richg

Quote from: Sunshine Express on May 25, 2012, 05:12:55 PM
Thanks for that,but I am a bit slow on steam decoders.Does it go in the tender ?

Normally but the tender should have all wheel pickup.
For an 0-4-0, all drivers and tender wheels should pickup. If you are new to DCC, might not be very easy for you. DCC requires constant pickup or you will be frustrated with the loco response.
To my knowledge, the 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 pickup only from the drivers and not very well.
Short wheel base locos will give you the fits on turnouts with a non powered frog.
I had a couple 0-6-0 that I gave away for that reason.
No idea on your level of DCC experience.

Rich

Doneldon

Sunny-

You can add a capcitor to your locomotive to electrically tide it over on
turnouts or in the event that you lose momentary contact between the
wheels and rails. It' neither difficult nor expensive to do.
                                                                                      -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on May 25, 2012, 11:15:34 PM
Sunny-

You can add a capcitor to your locomotive to electrically tide it over on
turnouts or in the event that you lose momentary contact between the
wheels and rails. It' neither difficult nor expensive to do.
                                                                                      -- D

You cannot just "add" a capacitor. That could cause [problems for those who do not understand what is involved. A useful link shows much more.

Below is what I and many others use. I doubt there is much space for the amount of capacitance involved.
Everyone, store the link and do some reading. A photo is worth a thousand words.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/mainnorth/alive.htm

Rich