News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-4

Started by cact25, July 29, 2007, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Warrington

:D Rich I agree 100% with what your saying I dont need monsters I need every day hard working branchline and mainline steam not a roundhouse of Big Boys.

Stephen

ATSF5700BOB

Good Afternoon , all. I agree with Texas Chief, except that I, also would like to see smaller steam engines with quality detail and quality running abilities. And I hope that they would be able to run as dc or dcc.
The model rail road market needs more generic small steam. but it wouldn't hurt if some manufacturer made ( in plastic ) a well detailed A.T.S.F. (and painted and decalled correctly) small steamer ( read 0-6-0,
0-8-0, 2-8-0, yes, I know Bachmann came out with a 2-8-0, but it is an I.C. prototype, 2-6-2, 2-8-2, 4-4-2, and even a 4-6-0) in Spectrum quality.
             If Bachman did, and the price was right, I would buy three of each type that I listed above.
             Hope every one has a pleasant evening.
                                       Bob

Jay

Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific question.  I am trying to determine the largest steam that the Rock Island had used.  Thanks to any that can help me out on this!  I have a 2-8-0 (x2), 2-6-0, 0-6-0 but am looking to add a larger steam to the fleet.
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

Atlantic Central

Jay,

Most of the freight power on the Rock was 2-8-0's and 2-8-2's.

They also had 4-6-2's and 4-8-2's. I don't know if the 4-8-2's did any freight work, but on many roads they dual service.

They also had a a few 4-8-4's and 2-10-2's. These where the biggest, no articulated locos.

Try www.rr-fallenflags.org for some pictures. I have not checked but more info is out there for sure.

Sheldon

RAM

Jay, The Rock Island had more 4-8-4s than any other railroads.

Atlantic Central

Jay, RAM,

Actually, the Canadian National had more, but the Rock had more than any other US road at 85 total, in two different classes, all built by ALCO.

It shoud be noted that these where some of the earliest Northerns built and where not as big as latter ones like UP FEF's, or the biggest of those on the ATSF. And while slightly bigger is some ways not as powerfull as a N&W "J".

Sheldon

Doneldon

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Steam Freak

I hate to say this,  but I'm 99% sure that Bachmann won't make a 2-10-4. Bachmann likes to make smaller engines for their product line. The biggest I've ever seen Bachmann make was a Mallet 2-6-6-2.....and even with that, it was a small engine.

For bigger locomotives, your better off getting Broadway Limited/Precision Craft Models. I've mentioned large engines to Bachmann before, but I usually get millions of disagrees about how large engines won't work on a typical home-built layout.......whatever that means.

Honestly, I would rather have an Southern Pacific P-8   4-6-2:

TexasChief

Bachmann used to make an ATSF 4-8-4 and quit making it and swore they would NEVER make it again then later began making it again. They used to make an ATSF 2-10-4 and quit making it. Who's to say they won't make it again?

Dick
Texas Chief
Santa Fe All The Way!

Steam Freak

Quote from: TexasChief on August 18, 2007, 10:55:24 PM
Bachmann used to make an ATSF 4-8-4 and quit making it and swore they would NEVER make it again then later began making it again. They used to make an ATSF 2-10-4 and quit making it. Who's to say they won't make it again?

Dick
Texas Chief

Bachmann never made a 2-10-4 to my knowledge. I think your confusing it with another company.

r.cprmier

Bachmann mdid indeed make a "Texas" type steamer.  It was back in the eighties that I first saw it advertised.  BTW, it had a four-axle/ truck tender  I knew it wouldn't run really too good on HOn3 track, so I declined at the time.  I also liked that chunky little 2-8-2 that they interchanged with the 2-8-0, and had the temacity to call them "different"...  Shame shame, Johann; some of us actually see.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

IIRC, it was a Santa Fe Texas.  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jay

That is great on the Rock Island side.  My head spins from all of the imformation sent my way.  Thanks for all of the great help!
Jay Johnson
The Roundhouse
www.trainweb.org/theroundhouse

RAM

HO SCALE BACKMANN 2-10-4 LOCOMOTIVE WITH TENDER     1 $10.00
$19.75 6d 07h 43m .  Just to show that Bachmann did indeed make a 2-10-4.  one is listed on ebay.  This must have been one of the early ones because it has the correct tender.  How ever the CB&Q never had anything that looked like this.