News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-4

Started by cact25, July 29, 2007, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Remember, a lot of railroaders did NOT use the given name for a locomotive, but called it by the wheel type or the Class given it by the using railroad.  Thus the N&W 4-8-4s were called "Jays," not whatever the N&W called 4-8-4s, which I sure was neither Northern nor Greenbriar."  In the same way crews might give a type a name, but it's different from the official one.  The C&O H7, 2-8-8-2s were called "Chesapeake" in Richmond, but the hoggers called it "Simple Simon." 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Simple Simon...a 2-8-8-2...Hmmmmm; interesting...Why?
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

RAM

I am sure that most railroads, the operation personal went by class instead of names.  Like on the Santa Fe they had 2-10-2s .  900s, 1600s, and 3800-3900 class were all santa fe types, but there was a big difference in the The 900 & 1600 had small 54 (I think) drivers while the 3800-3900 class had 63inch drivers.  I think the names were more for the public.

SteamGene

Rich, the C&O H7 was the first simple articulated on the C&O.  Some engineer or fireman must have had a young child or grandchild and remembered:
Simple Simon met
A Pieman
Going to the fair....

Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
I had to chuckle.  All I could think of was the old "Howard Johnson" logo...complete with drooling dog.

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Rich,
You are showing your age!  I bet you remember two lane highways, too!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

r.cprmier

Gene;
I ca nremember horses and wagons up and down the street, still soldiering on, coal furnaces, AND steam locomotive doing things other than pulling tourists around a museum.  Hey Gene; routes 128, greater Boston area; and the Merritt Parkway were big deals!!

Rich
Rich

SteamGene

Well, shoot, Rich.  I went to Hong Kong on a freighter that still had anti-pirate guards on it.  I'm not sure if it still carried machine guns, but the pedastals were still there.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

RAM

I use to help my dad farm with a team of horses.  I liked to watch the mack trucks with solid rubber wheeles and chain drive.