News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Older Williams Brass

Started by Richard Ketcham, May 19, 2012, 09:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Ketcham

I have a small number of the early Williams brass locomotives - a Penn Shark, (both A and B units) and a NYC Hudson. My question is are there maintenance sheets still available for these units. These units run well but need the typical maintenance that any model requires - oil, etc.

Thanks for any info that you can supply.

RK

phillyreading

You need to oil or lube all axles and gears, don't forget the small roller wheels for the center rail. If you can not find a lube sheet for the Williams, an older Lionel sheet may help you to see where to lube the axles.

Lee F.

prrhorseshoecurve

Your best bet is to swap out the underframes with current production. this way you get the correct trucks and fuel tank and it looks like a real shark!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: prrhorseshoecurve on July 27, 2013, 12:41:46 PM
Your best bet is to swap out the underframes with current production. this way you get the correct trucks and fuel tank and it looks like a real shark!

Like repainting Ecco Homo. If it aint broke, ::)....oil it and run it 8).

phillyreading

Quote from: prrhorseshoecurve on July 27, 2013, 12:41:46 PM

Why change out something if it isn't broken?

There can be problems with swapping out the underframe assemblies. Do they match up 100%, if not you will have to modify the underframe just to fit. Re-drilling or oversizing of holes and or making new holes for mounting screws to fit into.
The reason I say this is because of knowing about custom brass and Williams brass items.
Most brass items made for Williams were contracted out and partss may not change out with other company parts. I think that Samhonsa of Korea could have made the Williams brass items or Third Rail Brass and with that knowledge the person who told you to swap out underframes may not be informed about Williams brass and just making a general statement about Williams products.
It is a lot of work and expense to change out something like an underframe.

Lee F.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I recently bought a Williams/Samhongsa USRA 2-8-2 for less than $200  ;D

As far as I could tell, it had not been run, or run very little.  I did nothing to it but place it on the track and it runs fine.  It even came with the instructions and tool, spare tires, etc.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll be leaving it as is or modifying it into a Seaboard class Q3 Mike:

I already have the Vanderbilt tender made, so I need to make a new smokebox front and new, longer air cylinders on the side, and a few other things to make it look like a Q3.