Looking for smoke deflectors or elephant ears for the 4-8-4 niagara

Started by rallygsc, May 21, 2012, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallygsc

Hello Everyone:

I am looking for a set of smoke deflectors for the bachmann 4-8-4 niagara, I contacted bachmann's service department and they told me I have to buy a complete boiler just to get a pair of the smoke deflectors.

if anyone can help, please contact me.

take care and thanks
George

rogertra

Why not make you own out of thin styrene or brass?  Should be dead simple to make.

richg

A few post about these where made with brass. It is easy for those who do brass forming in model railroading. Styrene is not easy to form into elephant ears/smoke deflectors.
Reproducing the deflectors requires rivets and curving the metal near the top of the deflector.
Look at a photo of the deflectors.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Hunt on May 22, 2012, 06:05:16 PM
Click Here for new  shell option

The OP already stated that in his first message. He is trying to find a source for just the ears.

I have been searching but have not yet found any plans for making your own. Plenty of photos of the full scale and model types ear equipped locos.
Just about all the ear equipped locos have come in from across the pond for quite a few years.
I have to figure they are not a high volume option for model builders so of the five companies I have catalogs from who have sold loco detail parts do not sell the ears.

Rich