for those who like steam......

Started by jward, May 24, 2012, 09:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poliss

Stop for water? Why on earth would you do that? It can just as easily be taken up on the move, the same as Fireman Mungo did 58 years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euX65WsaxNk

Cooped

You've got to love fireman Mungo!
By the way, poliss is quite a unique name, you wouldn't be the same poliss as on the Hornby site would you?
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

J3a-614

That film clip from the "Elizabethan" documentary tickled my brain cells into remembering that the Pennsy, the Reading, the B&O, and the NYC all used trackpans. 

Now, how would we simulate this in, say, HO scale?  The models wouldn't be hard, but what about the water spray?

Cooped

There was a layout featured the March 2012 issue of MR where the owner had modelled track pans on the NYC. Not sure what they did for the water splash!
Yes dear, I'm looking at trains again........

rogertra

Great video, if a bit "dated" in its voice over.  :)

Notice a few thing different from North America?

None of the engine crew wore gloves, it just wasn't done, even into the late 1960s?  UK working men never wore gloves.

Shiny, non steel toes shoes?

Both enginemen wore ties?

Small firing shovel.

Large size of coal lumps?

UK firing practice was - little and often.  A fireman's job was very skilled.  Don't over fire, keep an even fire bed, don't have holes in the fire, don't have too much nor too little steam, don't make too much smoke, it's a sign of poor firing, a light grey exhaust is best, make sure you have enough water, make sure you have enough steam on grades but don't "blow off" on down grades.

Firing was more than just shovelling coal into the firebox.

poliss

Yes Cooped, same poliss.  ;D One of the chappies in the voice over played the Sheriff of Nottingham in The Adventures of Robin Hood.

phillyreading

The Pennsy and the NYC used track pans for water take-on while traveling, not so sure that the Reading had a water scoop tender for any engine.
In later days, the 1960's, the Reading added a second water tender.

Lee F.