Are the F7 Pennsylvania A & B units DCC ready?

Started by bcandh, June 04, 2012, 03:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcandh

Does anyone know if the F7 units, Bachmann product code 81262, are DCC ready, or easily converted to DCC?

skipgear

Not DCC ready and not easy to convert. You must make room in the frame for the decoder then issolate the motor, get frame pickups some how and rewire the lights. I've done one pair and won't do it again. Buy Intermountain or Kato if you want to go DCC.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

paigem

I just installed a Digitrax DZ125 decoder in the F7 that came with the McKinley Explorer set, so it can be done. The only problem is that the headlight stays on all the time because it picks up directly from the chassis.

Is there an LED I can install instead?

Thanks, Paige

Ken G Price

If you have any DC light boards that you removed from an other engine you could use the LED from it.
I have done that on 2 conversions using the DZ125 decoders.
As for the resister I can not help as have some from an other LED project that were given to me and they work just fine.

If Tony reads this he should be able to tell you which ones to get.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

skipgear

Quote from: paigem on June 14, 2012, 11:26:08 AM
I just installed a Digitrax DZ125 decoder in the F7 that came with the McKinley Explorer set, so it can be done. The only problem is that the headlight stays on all the time because it picks up directly from the chassis.

Is there an LED I can install instead?

Thanks, Paige

You can use the light that is already there if you want. Just remove it from the frame and wire it to the decoder. Insulate it from the frame when you put it back in the pocket.

The trainset F9 is not the same frame as the Spectrum F7. The Spectrum is a bit more cramped but is basically the same job.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950