News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dry transfers

Started by ironlake, May 25, 2012, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

Does anyone make dry transfers or decals for d&rgw engines and cars ( narrow gauge)

R and K RR Products

I just got two sets of decals for 2 of my K-27 from Stan Cedarleaf

http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html

Stan has done a lot of large scale decals over the years and is one of the best

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

Kevin Strong

Stan does waterslide decals. For dry transfers, check with Ozark Miniatures. They recently bought out the old CDS and Larry Larsen dry transfer artwork. Don't know if that includes any physical sets, but they can probably give you an idea on when they may be in production again. 'Twas their intention to begin production of dry transfers again. You may also try DJB Engineering in England. I believe he used to have D&RGW dry transfers. Again, don't know if they're still available or not.

Later,

K

armorsmith

Kevin,

Has Manfred at http://www.allout-graphics.com/ stopped making railroad dry transfers?  I thought it might have been you that mentioned them in a similar thread on another forum.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Ironlake,

If you can live with waterslide decals then I can also recommend Rail Graphics.  They use the silk screen process and make very opaque white and light colors, like dry transfers, but unlike whites or light yellow decals printed on Alps printers which can be very thin.

http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/

I also recommend Stan for Alps printed decals, especially when opaque whites or yellows are not critical.  I have had success with Alp's printed whites by applying a second white decal directly over another one.   Using an alp's printed white on a black surface often makes it look like the white is faded, and to me can be a good effect.  But I have used a yellow Alp's decal on blue paint and ended up with green looking lettering until I put another one directly over it.  One nice thing about using Stan for your K-27 is that he has the artwork ready to go, and you will probably get it very quickly.  In my experience Stan has lightning fast service!!!!

Have fun with that new K-27

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bob kaplan

i would like to apply my railroad name and info to Accucraft boxcar, tankcars and gondolas, etc.  Would the surface of the cars need to be "smoothed out" in some manner before the application of a waterslide decal. Rub on transfer adhere well to those car, but wondering about waterslides.  Bachmann cars seem to have a smoother surface when purchased and so water slide would adhere.   Thanks

Chuck N

Bob:

I have used Stan Cedarleaf's water slide decals for a number of projects, all with very satisfactory results.  His directions that come with the decals suggest using a glossy paint if you are painting the car or a glossy clear coat if you are going over an existing paint.  Then lightly spray with several coates of a dull coat after applying the decals and letting them dry.  I have always used a decal set solution after applying the decals and before the dull coat,  Stan says that this is optional. 

I have used his library of existing logos and lettering as well as having him do custom work.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Bob,

Waterslides work ok on rougher surfaces.  I used Stan's with Walthers Solvaset to get them down in the groves.  I first put solvaset on the surface of the car apply the decal, then more solvaset on top of the decal. At worst you will just have to do extra work to get them to snuggle in.  once I have them on and 80% stuck in place I apply more solvaset and use a soft brush to press them further in the groves and rough spots.  In some especially deep spaces between boards, I sometimes wait till compleetly dry then use a very sharp new xacto blade or razor blade to slice down the grove. then I put on more solvaset and use the brush to push the edges down into the groves.  You will probably "mess up" a decal or two while learning what works best.  

In this picture all the decals are from Rail Graphics .  I used the solvaset on all of them.

Rail Graphics did the custom work on the Missouri Western white decals and the Data parts were cut out of a larger stock sheet from their inventory of different period data sheets.

http://www.railgraphicsdecals.com/Rail_Graphics_Decals_Generic_Data_Sets.htm

This photo was taken before I applied the dullcoat to the entire car.  I also added door latches and cut down the end roofwalks to get them down more like other cars, and added a color logo.  But this serves to illustrate the decalling part.  I get lots of complements on these cars.  If you go to photobucket there are other pictures of my decal efforts as well.  As you might expect anything lettered Missouri Western is decalled with waterslide decals.  All logo's are from Stan.

Once you get into waterslide decals, you may like them better than dry transfers.  I have messed up a fair number of dry transfer decals just by getting them on slightly off position.  To me getting off the messed up dry transfer is usually worse than just doing a waterslide in the first place.  

My two cent's from 40 plus years of decalling and dry transferring!!!

Bill

bob kaplan

Thanks for the info Bill.  Your time and knowledge is appreciated.
b

Loco Bill Canelos

Most welcome Bob,

The reefer decals in black are all Rail Graphics and the logo is from Stan Cedarlief

The same is true for my stock cars but this one illustrates how I cut down the end roofwalks to get rid of the EBT look.

Bill

glennk28

San Juan Decals is expanding their line to 1:20.3 (Fn3) at the present time.  These started as the Foothill Model Works line--excellent quality wet decals gj

Kevin Strong

Quote from: armorsmith on May 26, 2012, 01:40:59 AMHas Manfred at http://www.allout-graphics.com/ stopped making railroad dry transfers?
He still does them, but only does custom work.

Later,

K