News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 Shay problems

Started by jhvanvledder, May 27, 2012, 01:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhvanvledder

I bought the ON30 two truck Shay a few years ago and stored it without running it as I had no facilities to test run it. Some two months ago I ran it for the first time on an HO layout at my local Hobbyshop, and was overwhelmed with it. This run was for approximately three minutes! Yesterday I managed a five minute run on a two metre test track at another toy shop and was dismayed that after four or five runs trouble occured and the rear truck stopped running. On close investigation I found that the drive crown gear was loose on the shaft. I epoxied this and on reassembly discovered a tight spot as I rotated the wheels. A magnifier revealed that the gear was split and so was the connector on the shaft (the one I had tried to epoxy). Needless to say I was devastated! What do I do now? It seems to be something I cannot fix, and I am here in South Africa far away from help. I don't know who to approach. Can anyone advise me what to do? I'm 76 years old and need help fast so that I can get to enjoy this delightful model. Thanking someone in anticipation - John van Vledder - jhvanvledder@gmail.com

railtwister

Hi John,

You're not alone, this is a common problem, not only with the Shay, but other Bachmann geared locos (Shays, Climaxes, and Railtrucks) as well. Contact the Bachmann Customer Service Department, they should have some On30 replacement gears that have been redesigned & improved, hopefully to alleviate the problem. There are also steel replacement gears made by Northwest Short Line to fit the Spectrum On30 Shays (sku #53-28016), but they are not cheap at $27.50 a set. In either case, you'll have to install them yourself, or perhaps find a repairman who can do it for a reasonable fee.

Good Luck,
Bill in FL

mabloodhound

The NWSL, although not cheap, are metal!   The Bachmann are plastic but seem to be working.   Be careful when removing the little clips as they can break!   You're dismay should be alleviated with the new gears.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

tbdanny

John,

It would probably be a good idea if you asked Bachmann to send some replacement clips as well.  They did when I asked, and I did need them.

Cheers,
Danny in Australia