McKinley Explorer replacement trucks/EZ-Track questions...

Started by paigem, May 25, 2012, 07:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paigem

Hello,
I recently bought the McKinley Explorer set (for me!) and the couplers on the passenger cars seem too short. The dummy unit's couplers also seem too high to match up with the passenger cars'. I see Micro Trains (I think) has replacement trucks with magnetic couplers; would any of those fit these cars?
I just ordered a DCC-equipped locomotive made by Broadway Limited Imports. Should the couplers match up to my cars (rolling stock, right?)?
Also, since I can't seem to find a combination of EZ-Track pieces that match the length of the turnouts (which I also bought - I'm hooked!) is it okay to "fudge" the alignment a bit? It seems to work okay, but I don't know if it will cause problems later on.

Thank you,
Paige

edit: The DCC decoder I bought to go with the new engine is the Digitrax Zephyr starter kit. Any problems using it with EZ-Track?

Albert in N

Welcome to the hobby!  It is a wonderful stress reliever, but can be challenging.  Looks like you started out by mixing a toy train set with serious scale modeling equipment.  Your McKinley Explorer set is colorful and fun, but may still have old style couplers not compatible with modern working knuckle couplers.  Close coupling is good for realism, but can be a problem on sharp curves.  If they run OK, why fix it?  The passenger cars have metal wheels while MT working coupler trucks are plastic wheels.  I simply switched the lead truck on an older passenger car set for a Micro-Trains truck and got good results.  That allows me to run my passenger set with a scale locomotive.  MT coupler conversions often require small tools, shims (washers, etc.), and MT small screws.  Your E-Z track is certainly DCC compatible, but your Bachmann F-9 and train set power pack are not.  With a lot of work and a decoder, you could add DCC to the F-9.  E-Z track offers small straight track assortment for fitting turnouts.  Also, you can order Bachmann working knuckle couplers from the parts department.  I would suggest contacting a competent hobby shop, attending a train show, or meeting with an experienced N scale person.  Try to decide if you want a toy train layout, scale model RR layout, or both.  Bachmann also makes scale model locomotives already DCC equipped.  Good luck!

Albert in N

Pardon my earlier use of the "T" word.  Perhaps Semi Scale is preferable to Toy.  However, I own a few Bachmann Standard Line items myself.  This includes two train sets, two steam locos, five diesel locos, and numerous cars.  This does not include my Spectrum or items from other makers.  I still enjoy my Bachmann Standard Line items.  They are affordable, rugged, and fun to run.  Also, the metal wheels run cleaner and do not pick up dust and lint like plastic wheel sets.  If my cat jumps onto the layout or an inquisitive visitor picks up something, usually there is no damage.  Compare that to stringing N scale telephone lines (threads) between phone poles and use of high-dollar craftsman building kits with expensive locos and cars.  Budget, maintenance, and durability are considerations when planning a layout.  No, I do not own any DCC at this time.  Right now, I am thinking about backing an Atlas loco into a siding and pulling a string of MT freight cars with my Bachmann UP F-9 from the Highballer set.