Is it improper to ask a non-train related question here??

Started by 1shado1, February 09, 2007, 07:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1shado1

I've asked and answered a few train/model railroading questions here.  But I have a question about PCs I need opinions on.  Why don't I just ask it in a computer forum?  Because you folks are much friendlier, and less likely to bust my chops!
So would it be OK if I ask it? ;D

Jeff
P.S.  I've just re-joined.  I like the new format!

Paul M.

I don't think you'll get kicked off the board, if that's what you mean.  ;)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

1shado1

1shado1

Oh heck.  I'm just gonna ask.  If it bothers anyone, The Bach Man can just delete it, right?

I'm looking to upgrade my 19" CRT monitor.  I want to get a 19" LCD monitor.  Should I get a standard 4:3, or a widescreen?  What are the advantages of a widescreen over a 4:3?  I don't watch DVDs on my monitor, nor do I play video games.

I guess that my main worry is that a 19" widescreen will be marginally less tall than a 4:3.  Between the toolbar (taskbar?) taking up a half inch of space at the bottom of the screen, and my browser header (is that what it's called?) taking up an inch and a half at the top, the last thing I need is less vertical screen space.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Jeff

the Bach-man

Dear Jeff,
I'll be interested in the answer as well!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

r0bert

while i personally prefer the widescreen, i spend alot of time in hotel rooms, and watching dvds on the high resolution lcd widescreen computer monitor has spoiled me, regular tv now just won't do.
in fact, I just ordered a 32" lcd to replace the square glass cathode ray bubble in my home entertainment alter.
i would go to one of the larger electronics superstores which is likely to have both up and running, try them out and compare them in person.

ddellacca

My 36" wide-screen TV in the living room is just great IF the program is
wide-screen, which is normally one of the DVD's we own, and not from
commercial broadcasting.

As for my PC, no-no-no.

I have a 19" 4:3 aspect screen. I don't want a wide-screen.
Whereas 4:3 screen measurements are corner to diagonal corner, the
wide screen measurement is side to side.
The widescreen is just that, widescreen, and although 16:9 aspect
should be the same, the wide screen sure looks shorter to me.
The text is therefore also shorter.
I like the larger text, and I NEVER play TV movies on the PC.
That's why I paid a fortune for the plasma gimmick in the front room.

Dick

dave2-8-0

If the monitor is'nt broken or giving un-correctable colors, Why are you replaceing it?

Good CRT Monitors will out preforrm a LCD for sharpness, color corection and reproduction of consistent colors and contrast.

Professional graphic and photographers are scowering the storerooms for Good CRT moniters, as they have stoped making the high end graphic models (laCie, Sony, Mitzy). I have 2 new ones socked away in in storrage for the future. A Good CRT is only good for about 3 years befor it slides down in reproduction quality, and has to be reliageted to non-critital use.

If it's not a realy good monitor, but still usable, have you thought of a duel screen setup? one for the photos and one for the work pallets.
New Mexico Northern Rail Road

Terry Toenges

I've been looking at wide screen TVs lately and it sometimes is hard to figure out comparisons with regular screens.
I decided the easiest way for me to figure out what to get is to measure the vertical size of my present screen and get a wide screen with at least that vertical size. I don't want to go smaller.
I also understand that plasma isn't the way to go as the quality declines over time.
Feel like a Mogul.

pdlethbridge

My brother does color correction on photos and he would not use an LCD monitor. A 19" CRT is what he uses

Seasaltchap

I would get the widescreen, like the old Xerox that had a swivel screen and software to go to get an 8½ x 11 on one screen!

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

GlennW

The screens should all be measured corner to corner. For a computer monitor, it may be a waste to go widescreen. Leave that for the TV screen.

IMHO my home computer is being used more & more for home office/business use. Games are going on my Nintendo DS or Wii. Video & other stuff goes on the TV. Even there, I may be getting a widescreen that comes close to the vertical of my old 27" set.

1shado1

Many thanks to all of you for posting your impressions/opinions/ideas about my impending monitor 'upgrade'.  I appreciate the time taken for my benefit. ;D  Even off-topic, you folks are the best!  I ended up posting the same question to a computer forum, and only got one response.

With all the varying opinions, I've come to the conclusion that I need to go to a brick and mortar store and get some hands on experience with the various types of monitors available, instead of just blindly purchasing one on the internet. 

I wouldn't even bother getting a new monitor if my old one wasn't ready to crap out.  I'd much rather buy model railroading items with the money. :'(
But it's starting to 'flicker', no matter what refresh rate it is set at, and the little control wheel/pushbutton for making adjustments is non-functional.  I'd much rather buy model railroading items with the money. :'(

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff

Curmudgeon

Ah.
When I was a kid, we had a Zenith, I think, about the second or third set.....first I recall was an "Admiral" with a 12" screen in a console that looked like an old upright radio set.

Anyway, this Zenith had a round screen.
The picture would fill it.
There was a switch that would make the picture a rectangle like we are used to now.

Funny thing was, there was more data sent than was used on rectangular screens.
We never thought much about it until we got a green-and-white Hoffman, put them side-by-side, and realized the cameraman you cound see on the side and the cords at the bottom were in parts of the broadcast not shown on a regular rectangular screen TV.

We'd just thought that's the way it was.......

That is also where one learned to fix them with a woodburning set, since we didn't have a soldering iron........

randerson

1shdo1,

I bought a new laptop about 6 months ago.   On my pc monitor I use webshots to download photo's to use as wall paper.

To my surprise the "normal: pictures I download wont fit the laptops wide screen, and I can't stretch them to fit!

I had to pay webshots for a premium membership to be able to download wide screen compatible photos, in that respect I would just as not have the wide screen monitor, but it's hard to find one without one.

Cheers,

Rich