News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 Traffic Jam

Started by jonathan, May 31, 2012, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Just completed my 5th 0-6-0 modification.  It's getting crowded on the layout.  Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

Keep this up, and your roster is going to outnumber the B&O's ;)

jonathan

;D Whew!  They had 40 USRA type 0-6-0s... gotta little more work ahead of me!  ;D

jettrainfan

You can never have too many critters running around!  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

BlueFox

Jonathan;

Myself, I have converted, so far, 6 Mantua DC engines, (1) 0-6-0 'Big Six' and (5) 0-4-0 'Shifter's to DCC without having to change the original motor.  I'm with you, you can never have enough of 'em running around.   :)

My next project, when I can find the time, is to add sound to them; a neat trick seeing they all have such small tenders without very much room for a decoder + speaker.  ;D

BlueFox

jonathan

BF,

Indeed, I think it would be possible to add a sound-only decoder to the tender.  Since the Movement Decoder is already in the loco, a small Digitrax sound decoder may work.  The speaker (a small one) would have to shoot out the top through the coal load.  Just have to program both decoders to the same address.

This is a project I'm contemplating.  Two decoders in one small loco has been done before.  I read it online somewhere, but can't recall where.  I didn't save the link unfortunately.

Regards,

Jonathan

OlddManWithHO

Jonathan,

No need to put in a speaker sound outlet hole.  I used a slim size Digitrax decoder SDN144PS with a mini oval speaker and enclosed in the shell.  Sound is excellent.  THe sound actually is amplified when you cover it up with the tender.

Here is a link of the speaker I used.

http://www.traintekllc.com/Mini-Oval-8-Ohm-Speaker/productinfo/SPKRMINI/

Dont forget to get the speaker enclosure also.

Roger

rogertra

Jonathan.

What DO you use all those 0-6-0s for?

Breeding for commercial purposes or just pets?  ;)

jonathan

Heh, I picked one up dirt cheap, just to see what could be done with it.  Then I was hooked on these little switchers.  Just kept acquiring new ones.  They work great on my mining loop, and for switching.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

I like them too, even though I am a diesel man. the only improvement i'd like to see is a working front coupler.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Quote from: jward on August 24, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
the only improvement i'd like to see is a working front coupler.

jeff-

Me, too. I cannot imagine why Bachmann would sell switchers without two working couplers.

-- D

J3a-614

Quote from: Doneldon on August 25, 2013, 03:53:36 AM
Quote from: jward on August 24, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
the only improvement i'd like to see is a working front coupler.

jeff-

Me, too. I cannot imagine why Bachmann would sell switchers without two working couplers.
                                                                                                                             -- D

You must remember this is an older model that goes back to at least the 1970s and the pancake motor era (I still have one around here somewhere).  It was originally something of a toy, and to a certain extent it is still sold as that with some Christmas themed sets. 

The old Reading I-10 2-8-0 was the same way, lacking a working front coupler.

We sometimes need to remember that Bachmann was also called "Botchman" for what were some products of questionable quality.  It's quite amazing to me to see the strides Bachmann has made in the last 15 or 20 years, especially after the current 2-8-0 came out.  I assure you, it's not the same company it used to be!

rogertra

Keep in mind that the first Athearn "Genesis" model, the USRA 2-8-2, also came without a working front coupler and that was touted as a "scale" model so we can't really hold Bachmann to task for what was, in effect, the toy 0-6-0.  Ditto for the 2-6-2 which is a model of no known prototype but is, in fact, just the 0-6-0 with a pilot and trailing truck added to look like a 2-6-2.

BaltoOhioRRfan

Quote from: rogertra on August 25, 2013, 02:37:45 PM
Keep in mind that the first Athearn "Genesis" model, the USRA 2-8-2, also came without a working front coupler and that was touted as a "scale" model so we can't really hold Bachmann to task for what was, in effect, the toy 0-6-0.  Ditto for the 2-6-2 which is a model of no know prototype but is, in fact, just the 0-6-0 with a pilot and trailing truck added to look like a 2-6-2.

Don't forget the Mogul they sold, same thing 0-6-0 with just a pilot truck(not talking about the better more detailed one, which id like to get a couple of, one for Ma & Pa and one for B&O)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

rogertra

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on August 25, 2013, 02:51:40 PM
Quote from: rogertra on August 25, 2013, 02:37:45 PM
Keep in mind that the first Athearn "Genesis" model, the USRA 2-8-2, also came without a working front coupler and that was touted as a "scale" model so we can't really hold Bachmann to task for what was, in effect, the toy 0-6-0.  Ditto for the 2-6-2 which is a model of no known prototype but is, in fact, just the 0-6-0 with a pilot and trailing truck added to look like a 2-6-2.

Don't forget the Mogul they sold, same thing 0-6-0 with just a pilot truck(not talking about the better more detailed one, which id like to get a couple of, one for Ma & Pa and one for B&O)

Exactly.  The Alco 2-6-0, although lacking in detail, which is not a problem for us modellers, is an excellent little engine and a couple nicely filled a gap in my roster.

All I need now is an affordable, Spectrum quality, generic looking, 4-8-4 to fill the last gap in the steam roster.  (Hint, hint).