News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale 2-8-0 Outside Frame

Started by ctappjr, June 01, 2012, 12:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctappjr

Does anyone have any pointers on replacing the drive gear/axle in this engine?
Would it be similar to replacing the drive gear on the 4-4-0 or 2-6-0?  Any help would be appreciated.

Loco Bill Canelos

Disassembly procedure:

1) Roll engine over on fireman's side, locate forward end of reverse actuating rod under running board where it attaches to the valve gear.
Remove slot-head screw. NOT MAGNETIC! Don't lose it!
2) Roll engine onto its wheels. Remove all 4 screws and both smokebox supports (if you try to flex them out of the way, it will scratch the paint).
3) Roll engine over on it's back.
4) Remove ashpan (4 small screws).
5) Remove 4 screws about in the corners of inside of firebox under ashpan.
6) Remove one screw between cylinders under front truck.
7) Separate boiler from chassis. Pull motor wires down from boiler to reveal in-line plug. You may unplug for complete separation of boiler from chassis.

The above is copied from My large scale.com.  You will have to remove the screws attaching the gearbox and seperate the gearbox halves to get to the gears. 

Basically it is the same as for the 2-6-0 after that.  NWSL has the main gear but I can't remember the number, and Bachmann still has all the gears in stock as well. Some report that other gears are chewed up besides the main drive gear so it is best to open it up and see what you need before ordering.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20755.0.html

Hope this helps.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony Walsham

I might add that during reassembly it is most important to make sure the two front sanding lines are placed in  FRONT of the cross member in rhe holes provided in the chassis.  If you don't they will drag on the front drive wheels.
I have just this week done one and this time took pics which I will publish asap.
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

mickb

You may find this link helpful http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/gear.html complete with step by step instructions and pictures.
Also Bachmann now has a replacement brass gear already mounted on an axle http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_142&products_id=3843
whether this will put more strain on the other gears remains to be seen.

Mick

Barry BBT

I also have replacement motor / gearbox kits, which upgrade performance and longevity.

Barry

Barry Olsen
6822 W. Villa St.
Phoenix, AZ 85043
623-936-6088
There are no dumb questions.

tac

I'm reviving this topic since the arrival of my Bachmann spare gear on axle unit.  Not that I'm a complete lunk, just that it came in a plain Jiffy bag with no fitting instructions of any kind, and all I've seen so far is for the NWSL push-on gear wheel - NOT a complete axle.

Any advice [without sarcastic remarks] would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS