News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27

Started by trainman2, June 01, 2012, 12:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman2

I just received my new K-27 in the factory-sealed carton. I carfully unpacked it and set it on a display track - unpowered. When I pushed the loco a few inches manually, it rolled freely. None of my several other G scale Spectrum locos do. Please tell me this is normal!! Or is my gearbox faulty?
Thank you for a reply.
Ed

Jon D. Miller

Free-rolling is normal for the K-27.  You don't have a problem.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

R and K RR Products

Ed
The K-27 gearbox is bulletproof. It is the best motor-gearbox combo that has ever been built for a plastic locomotive. The only thing is that it is geared too high. It OK on a layout with little or no grades on it.

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

Jon D. Miller

While this is beyond the original question, here is a link to the Edington gear reduction box and its installation.

Rodney has built a quality gear box that is easy to install.  It improves the performance of the K-27 by providing a more realistic gear ratio.  If you want to pull stumps this is the conversion to use.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2011/04/26/k-27-with-edington-gear-reduction-add-on?blog=4
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

ironlake

It appears you loose the great pittman motor with this combo and no mention of price I could find.  15 scale mph seames very slow.  If the current draw is not beyond the max for the motor 24 volts should be ok if it were a pittmann but no mention of the type of motor and designed voltage.

R and K RR Products

Jon
Thanks for the plug on my gearbox

Ironlake
My gearbox is installed on the stock K-27 Pittman 9000 motor and at 24 volts it will run about 25 to 30 scale mph. I've never really clocked it on any of mine.
The price is $140 installed on your motor or $195 with a gearbox installed on a new K-27 motor.
Here is the link to my website

http://www.randkrailroadproducts.com/

Thanks

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

chuckger

Hi,

I have one of Rodney's gear boxes and you dont loose the b-man pittman motor. I beleve the price is $140.00 plus shipping, but I may be wrong.

Chuck

Chuck N

I have modified both of my Bachmann K-27s with Rodney's gear boxes.  I think that the engines run better.  They go up hill slowly and come down the same way.  The lower gearing helps their performance.

These engines were never race horses.  They were designed for curves and steep grades.  The new gear box makes them perform like the prototypes.

Chuck

glennk28

Notg only do the drivers turn, butwatch the lights when you push it--that motor becomes a generator! If this is a first run, check wsith Bachmann regarding re-designed  driver cranks/counterbalances.  They are abouit an hour fix, improve running.  g j  you might also want to replace the dark orange led's in several lamps with "golden white" ones.