News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale

Started by ironlake, June 02, 2012, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

Why are there so many differnent scales withing the category of G scale?   Also why does the new bachmann K 27 end up with 20. 3 and not just 20 to one and why the change from 22? to one?
I;m used to O scale which for 90% of the time is O48

the Bach-man

Dear Ironlake,
This question has been discussed at length, but with regard to the scales you mention, the answer is determined by the gauge of the track represented.  In Europe the most common narrow gauge is meter gauge. 45mm track scales out to a meter at 1:22.5.  In the US, the most common narrow gauge is 36", which scales out at 1:20.3.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chuck N

There are a number of scales that run on "G" gauge (45mm) track.  Below are some of the more common ones:

1:13.7 Maine 2' gauge

1.20.3* Most but not all N. American narrow gauge (3' between the rails), Bachmann Spectrum and Accucraft.

1:22.5* European meter gauge, LGB, Piko, Kiss

1:24* Cape gauge (40" between the rails, South Africa and New Zealand, I think)  This is the scale for most N. American (Colorado) narrow gauge freight cars made by LGB, USA, Delton, and Bachmann (Big Hauler, not Spectrum lines)

1:29* North American and some European standard gauge, 56.5 inches between the rails (incorrect scale, but got started by LGB on "modern" freight cars, followed by USAt, AristoCraft and some Accucraft cars and engines.  Several manufacturers kept with this scale because of the "WOW" factor.  The cars and engines in this scale are 10% larger than in the correct 1:32 scale.

1:32 Correct scale for N. American and European standard gauge (56.5") on 45mm track; Accucraft, MTH.

As currently used the term "G Scale" is a misnomer, as we should be using 1:??.? on g gauge track.  I suppose that if there is a "G Scale" it should be limited to 1:22.5 meter gauge models as that is what LGB used when they started out.  Some people use Fn3 for 1:20.3, but that hasn't really caught on.

There are some LGB European narrow gauge cars and engines for which "G scale" isn't correct either.  I haven't done the calculation, but all of their Zillertal engines and cars should be something else because the prototype for that railroad is 750mm gauge, not 1000mm and the Zillertal passenger cars are the same size as the other LGB 2-axle cars.

Welcome to the world of "G".  I've been in it for over 30 years and there are still times when I'm confused.

Chuck

* scales that I own, run and enjoy.

I like the fact that I can run different types of trains on the same "G" track and I'm not limited to a single scale train in my backyard.  I like Standard gauge and Narrow Gauge (Colorado and European).