Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rock faces

Started by hudson488, June 03, 2012, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson488

any ideas on making easy rock faces?

Franz T

Woodland Scenics rock molds and hydrocal would be both the most realistic and easiest way to go..

NarrowMinded

Hi,

There are a couple of ways to get cheap easy and different rock faces.
wad some aluminum foil up then un-wad, it pour some thick hydrocal on to it and while it is very thick but still moldable place it where you want it then wait for it to dry and remove the foil, it makes convincing rock.

You can also place the hydrocal on your hill or mountain and then press the foil into it but I find that harder to do and it often misses spots.

I also use the foil and make a bowl/rock shape, then I take a piece of cardboard and cut a hole that the bowl/rock shape will fit inside of  staple the foil around the edges to the card board, the carboard is to support the foil next I either use strips of paper towel and dip them in hydrocal or plaster and then line the foil bowl/rock with it, t I let it dry, then I trim  away the edges I don't need to fit where I want the rock to go.

Make sure to use good thick foil, cheap thin foil will tear through and you will have a mess. I have a foil cover from a frozen food container that I have used a bunch o times.

Lastly use a sharp exacto knife to score some cracks here and there then make random fractures and then color it.
NM_Jeff

mhampton

Broken ceiling tile can be used to simulate cuts through layers of shale.

Ken G Price

As you are finding out there are many ways to do this.
Try some of the suggested ideas to find out what works for you.
I find trying different ways to do some thing part of the fun of model railroading. :D
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/