News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sharpest?

Started by Jim, February 09, 2007, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Greetings,

This group needs more activity so I'll jump. ;)

Who makes the best looking - yet - easiest to assemble plastic kits? Or perhaps the two things are mutually exclusive?

Who makes the best looking pre-built structures?

Perhaps no single company but some here some there? How about some example pointers.

Thanks.

Paul M.

Best looking:
Probably Craftsman Kits

Easiest to assemble:
Plasticville USA

Best Pre-Builts:
hard to say.

Overall:
Maybe Walthers Cornerstone.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

0n30nutz

I've used, and continue to use many of the Plasticville buildings, but I always paint and add additional detail. They are very nice kits. Walther's Cornerstone are also very nice, but many of their kits seem to be discontinued rather quickly should they not have stong enough sales. Agin  paint and detail...There are also a ton of fairly easy to build 'craftsmen' kits out there too...Check out www.valleymodeltrains.com...

Happy Building,

Howard :D
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

Jim

Hi,

Sorry, I just noticed the HO structs are called Plasticville and the N simply assembled buildings. So, by that I'm crossed up a bit. Looked at the Bachmann assembled offerings in the onling catalog and unfortunately none currently seem to catch my interest.

Looked at the valley model trains site and they do look good. But I'm doing N scale.

Here is a rather intriguing prospect, paper structures developed on a graphics printer. This site even offfers a "free" outhouse (scalable for all).  :)
http://www.papercreek.com/

Capitalism is sometimes humorous:
http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/

Here's some useful detail. Free ad signs:
http://www.trevinocircle.com/adsigns.asp

Wonder if many on here have attempted to use a computer and printer in creating things for their layout?

Jim

Paul M.

I liked the outhouse. I've made one so far, but I'll probably make more.  ;)

-Paul
[

LD303

walthers makes nice kits definitely.....a bit pricey in most cases.

i dont even bother with built ups.

as far as best overall...i really like the old plastic...tyco made some great kits...the center street series [ihc currently produces it] was really nice, plenty of oppurtunity to make unique structures.
      model power had some nice kits with interiors and lighting, they still sell some but the prices arent very attractive, the older kits  turn up on EBAY frequently for reasonable and sometimes excellent prices.
        ihc has some nice kits, residential, industrial, railroad, even a few maritime kits for those that have a lot of water on their layouts.
     the more expensive and ''fancy'' kits are indeed nice.....a quick look through walthers catalog brings all sorts of ideas for huge metroplexes and giant industrial areas....but the price is a real hindrance, id rather opt for a lot of ''old'' plastic kits than a few fancy new ones.
                     just my opinion mind you.

Paul M.

Like LD303, I also like the old Tyco-IHC-Model Power-Lifelike buildings. I have a Tyco brewery on my layout that I changed to sign to read McClinton's Creamery

-Paul
[

JM

Thats a good one Paul!!!  LoL
    I like old plastic too, the detail on some of that older stuff rivals the modern Walthers offerings, I remember looking at the backs of the Tyco kit boxes and dreaming of having all the kits and what a great layout I'd have.......kind of hard to do that on a $2 a week allowance.
   But lately I've been buying those old kits when I find them...EBAY or those little out-of-the-way hobby stores you happen on from time to time. { a side note....there's a little place near here that has a lot of old athearn blue box kits....from $4 to $12....and a pretty good selection of old plastic building kits.....seems like I've been stopping there more lately...Hmmmmmmm   LoL]
   I expect my ''railroad empire'' will have grow a bit if I'm to use all those kits.....oh well, off to Lowes!!!   

Jim

Howdy All,

It appears there's a good selection of old kits at this site. Way out of my range but fun to admire.

http://www.craftsmankits.biz/

Jim

brad

The new Woodland Scenics pre assembled buildings look really good. they look very well  and neatly built, are pre weathered and are painted in very realistic colours. I've never bought one (not my gig) but have seen them on my LHS shelves.

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

BIG DOG

For those doing the paper models or planning too, if you buy the program online save it to a disc and head to office depot/ staples and use a laser printer, the difference from ink jet to laser is worth the price difference also use a card stock type paper as well

I'll do  search for one paper co. I found where you can down load sheets if brick, different levels of weathered wood, tin and I think he does fences