News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

B&O caboose colors

Started by blf, June 06, 2012, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blf

Needing a caboose for my EM-1, I dug out some old brass cabooses I've had for about 35+ years. The wagon top seems to be a I-5B as built. Although from the info I have found it only lasted with the 15' wheel base for a year or so. After looking at the possability of stretching the base to19', it just won't work, even by cutting down the steps as the protype C 2506 had done to it, as there is no room for the trucks to swing behind whats left of the steps. There is a book out there on B&O cabooses out of print with plans for a I-5B with dimensions. Can any one tell me how wide the end platforms were after the widened the wheel base to 19' (I-5BA?) and what color were the cabooses in 1940, brown or red? Seems the I-12 wagon top would be a good candidate for a quality offering for a Spectrum line of equipment. Bill

jonathan

Bill,

Here is a link to an article by a friend of mine who converted a resin kit.  The dimensions will be similar to what you are planning. Hope this gives you some of the dimensions you are looking for.

http://borhs.org/ModelerMag/index.html

The I-5a was the first B&O wagon top caboose.

The swinging truck problem is the same with the resin versions.  I had to do some serious filing on the steps and truck journals to get the wheels to turn down to a 22" radius. That little trick is hard to recreate in HO Scale.

I don't recall what date the colors changed from boxcar red (brown) to devil's red (their own concoction).  However, I'm pretty sure it happened closer to 1945.  Should still be brown in 1940. That's a guess at this point.  Will try to find out the right answer.

Regards,

Jonathan

PS. A RTR wagon top caboose would be great.  I'm not holding my breath.  :)

jonathan

Sorry about the generic link.  It's the Nov/Dec 2009 Issue you are looking for.

Jon

blf

Thanks Jonathan; Purrused that article many times, and the cab I have fits these dimensions, but the pics I have look like a extended platform and roof to accommodate the new 19' base. Also, the paint looked to be a different circa than when new, as the logo doesn't fit the time frame. will have to try to re do the steps and modify the trucks (Tichy USRA with Branchline pass truck springs installed) to get a 1945 caboose. Didn't want to wreck the original car, but if no options exist, whats the difference. Theres a pic of the C2506 with modified 19' WB, and steps at http:// NORTHEAST.RAILFAN.NET/bo5.html  Also, there is a book on line on eBay from 2008 that has a few pages as a inticement to buy. It has some info and a roster time line of invaluable info if you don't own this book. Bill

jonathan

If you search through brasstrains.com, there is an I-5ba (2507), nicely decorated.  Might give you some ideas.  It appears to have the 19' truck modification.  The steps are slightly narrower than the prototype, I guess, to accomodate truck swing.  Should also give an idea about the dimensions of the porch.

Can't seem to focus on the decals for dates.

Of course, it was sold, before being listed.  These babies go fast.

Regards,

Jonathan

blf

Thanks Jonathan: And its already sold. The A added to the class I-5B, means it was stretched from the info I have found. Done almost as soon as they were built           ( C2502-C2507 BLT 1936-40 ). The picture I found of the C2506 shows they just torched out the steps to clear the trucks. Don't know why they wouldn't have done that to all of them. Have decided to take that approach with my Dremel. So far it looks like I might be able to get a 18' 6" wheel base without the steps looking to narrow. The steps on the brass model are narrower than the torched ones in the photo. If the steps originally were almost 3' wide, it looks like maybe up to 9" are missing at the bottom, as when thy cut them they left an arc rather than a straight side. Model looks like maybe close to afoot is removed Sure would like to compare the steps on C2506 to the rest of the group. Bill

jonathan

Wish I had a better picture.  However, this is my I-5D project.  Similar underframe and identical steps.  Hopefully you can see how I rounded off the corners of the steps to make room for the trucks.  What you can't see from this angle is the slight amount of material I also filed off the truck journals.  The I-12 required the same alteration.  Doesn't show up while the train is running, so...

Also, there should be two brackets holding the steps underneath.  I only had room for one bracket, the most visible one.

I have looked at the cabooses at the B&O RR museum.  On ALL of them, with this style step and 19 foot wheelbase, the clearance between truck and step is just an inch or two on the prototype.  Again, really hard to recreate in small scale.  Plus, radius was not a concern as compared to our scale.

Regards,

Jonathan