News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

automobile

Started by glsummers, July 31, 2007, 12:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

Just a simple question. Can you use a double train portal for an automobile and truck portal or does it need to be modified to look real?

Jim Banner

Sure.  The ones representing cut stone would be appropriate for an older two lane highway while a pair of concrete ones would be better for a modern four lane highway.  Don't forget matching wing walls as appropriate.

Suggestion - Google images of "highway tunnels" and see what turns up.  There are many variations, including no portals at all.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

glsummers

glsummers

JIm, would they be as high as the RR type?

Woody Elmore

I think you're asking a huge question. I would imagine that the size and shape of an auto tunnel would depend on many things. I'm sure that Uncle Sam has federal standards.

Your best bet is to do some resarch but I don't see why the tunnels designed for railway use couldn't be used as is. It's your railroad and your layout!

SteamGene

I know the Pennsylvania Turnpike's route is that of the planned South Pennsylvania.  Were some of the railroad tunnels already bored before the work stopped on the railroad?  I know the portals are rather high.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

The "Westrock" tunnel is a great example of a double bore;it is functional, very good workmanship, and just plain old good looks.  This is at the Hamden/New Haven town line at West Rock on the Wilbur Cross Parkway.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!