News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann d&rgw coach

Started by ironlake, June 10, 2012, 09:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

how long is a bachmann d&rgw narrow gauge g coach and how long is a accrucraft one.

veetwelve

Don't know about the AccuCraft, but my Bachmann D&RG passenger coaches are exactly 19 inches from tip-to-tip of the observation platform on each end.

You can scale that up to whatever scale you consider these coaches to be.

Good luck!
Jay

chuckger

Accucraft has the measurements on ther wesite L 27 1/2 inches, H 7 3/8 inches W 5 inches, Weight 6 lb. They are big cars, most likely need 8' curves.

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Hmmmm.  Three Bachamnn coaches kitbashed into two longer cars,  very doable and easy bash. Cheap too, coachs are going for $20 to $30 on Ebay.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Scaling up the coaches doesn't really work too well. You can make them longer easy enough, but that doesn't keep your passengers from banging their heads on the doors and roofs. Doors on typical narrow gauge coaches were around 6' high, maybe an inch or two less on really early cars. To properly size the Bachmann coach for 1:20.3, you're going to have to add between 1/4" to 1/2" in height to the carbody. The combine in the photo above is actually a bit smaller than the Accucraft coach--lower by around 1/4", and shorter by about 3" (real measurements, not scale)

In terms of width, technically speaking the Bachmann coach scales out well for an early (c. 1870s) coach that had 2-1 seating (double seats on one side of the aisle, single on the other). These were generally around 7' 4" wide give or take. When the car builders agreed that equipment could pass the 8' mark and still be stable, they had the room inside to go to 2-2 seating.

The Bachmann kit in this photo is one of two I bought for just such an "upsizing" project. I could never get things to look right without completely rebuilding everything but the floor and roof, so I abandoned the project and sold the kits.

If you're looking for coaches to run behind the K-27, you really owe it to yourself to get properly proportioned 1:20 coaches. The Bachmann, LGB, Delton, etc. 1:22 and 1:24 coaches are simply going to be dwarfed by the loco. The bad news--the AMS coaches (and the Bronson-Tate kits) go for between $150 - $200 each. The good news is that many narrow gauge passenger trains weren't much longer than three or four cars at the most.

Later,

K

Jon D. Miller

Here is one solution. It may not meet everyone's requiments.

The coach was built to match up with the AMS coach with exception of length.  The car is 18 1/2" long over the end beams. It is 4 7/8" wide, 6 13/16" in height.  Side sill to edge of roof is 4 1/4".  

While short it does look better and matches up with 1:20.3 scale Bachmann freight equipment.  It does not look out of place behind the K-27 or the Connie.  I run it tacked on to the end of mixed freights.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Loco Bill Canelos

tac

Jon - that's a very nice director's car!  I'd be proud to be riding around in that.

Best

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS
ovgrs.org

R and K RR Products

Here is a stock AMS and a Bachmann

Jon
  That is a very nice car

Rodney
Trying to make a better world for the 20.3 modeler

ironlake

I have been checking ebay but all I can find is cars with no lettering and they want 200 or more for them or one guy has 4 for 1000. and not lettered.  If I could find one for 150. I would do it but so far the accrucrafts are spendy.

Chuck N

Unfortunately, this is not an inexpensive hobby.  Plan for the long run, after 30+ years I have a reasonable collection of G gauge cars and engines.  This is something that I could not have acquired quickly.  In the first 20 or so years I gave my wife a list of items (cars and engines) that I would like.  She shared the list with her mother and my parents.  Magically, there were some Red and Green (LGB) boxes under the tree at Christmas and on the table at my birthday.  Later as newer manufactures appeared there were other colored boxes.  Sadly, Nancy's helpers aren't with us any longer, so we're on own and I buy what I can when I see something at a good price that would be a nice addition.

I would love to be able to get cars and engines at a bargin basement price, unfortunately, that rarely happens.

Chuck

ironlake

but how do they expect you to letter a car with no decal sets available that I can find.  why would you mfg a coach in d@rgw yellow and not put lettering on it,  I guess I am so used to O gauge and lettered cars that this hobby will be a sit on the shelf for my K 27 and look nice. 
Is there a for sale board somewhere on the wwweb where people can list wants and for sale?

Chuck N

Most manufacturers put lettering on most of their cars.  There seems to be a small percentage of cars in each run that are left unlettered, so people can add their own lettering without having to remove factory lettering.  If you are buying used cars it is possible that the previous owner had removed the lettering.

Car lettering in "G" is now a cottage industry.  There are two people that I know of who do lettering for the "G" scales.

Stan Cedarleaf makes water slide decals.  He has an extensive library of different railroad's lettering.  He will also work with you if you want some custom lettering and logos.  I have used him a number of times and his products are excellent.  His email address is  <scedarleaf at aol dot com>.  Substitute @ for at and . for dot in the address and close up the spaces.

The other one is Del Tapparo.  He creates vinyl lettering.  I have not used him, but I hear good things about his work <www.GScaleGraphics dot net>.

Here is a link to pictures of my Bachmann Shay with Stan's custom lettering.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/14/aft/124291/afv/topic/Default.aspx#267752

And a link to pictures of a box car I built and used his decals:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/17/aft/123418/afv/topic/Default.aspx#258531

Chuck

Loco Bill Canelos

Stan Cedarleaf also does custom decals in small quantities.

http://gold.mylargescale.com/stancedarleaf/webpagedecals/customdecalsx.html

He probably already has done them for those cars

ironlake

doesnt anyone make dry transfers so you do not have to see those white air bubbles and also have to airbrush over the decal to hide it.