News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 2-6-6-2 (HO)

Started by Poke2277, June 22, 2012, 10:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poke2277

Hi Folks, I have just fitted a decoder (non sound) to a 2-6-6-2 loco and while I have forward and reverse I have no lights.  Is there a wiring diagram for the 2 circuit boards avalable to enable me to check out what is meant to do what?  I am reluctent to rewire the the thng as the existing circuit boards look well made. If I have to do it I will but would prefer not to.  It goes without saying that the decoder was properly checked out before installing in the tender and all the connections are good between the loco and the tender.
Pete

richg

We need more info.
To my knowledge, you plug in a decoder to the 8 pin socket.
What brand of decoder, part number?
Did it come with a plug?
If the loco has LED's the resistors are on the PC board.
What brand DCC system are you using?
What procedure did you use to try to turn on the lights?
The only diagram for the PC board is what different people trace out. I have done that with some Bachmann locos.

Rich

jonathan

I once installed a decoder backwards on a Spectrum Steam Locomotive.(there was a previous thread on this).  The locomotive still ran fine, but headlight didn't work.  Once I turn the decoder around, headlight worked.

Did you install using the 8-pin receptacle in the tender?

This would be the simplest answer (usually the right one).  Let's hope Akim's Razor (sp) will be your solution, too.

Regards,

Jonathan

Poke2277

To rich and johnathon, Thanks for your interest so far.
The make of decoder is irrelavant, but they (a 5 pack) were supplied a few weeks ago by a local supplier. I am using a Lenz system with a LH 100 controller. The decoder is an 8 pin job and is inserted the right way round.  Surprisingly, I deliberately inserted it a about k but all that happened was nothing. I did check where the wheel pick up wires ended up and they were going to the correct place on the decoder.
It looks a bit like I will have to work out the circuit board the long way. I  was just being lazy! :-\

richg

Plug the DC adapter back in and run with a DC power pack. Do the loco and tender lights operate normally?

Rich

richg

I do know the 8 pin connector was designed to prevent damage to the decoder. If the new decoder was wired correctly and plugged in incorrectly, the loco would run reverse of what you selected and the loco/tender lights would be reversed also. At one time, some locos with the 8 pin connector, some would have trouble identifying pin 1 and would insert the connector the wrong way. Everything would work in reverse when running on DCC.
But, Bachmann is known for different wiring in some of their tenders. Happened to me with the USRA Medium tender.

Rich

electrical whiz kid

I have three 2-6-6-2s-two Bachmann, and one Mantua; I installed the tsunami sound decoder in them, and to daate, haven't had any problems.  The only issue I had was getting a handle on the CVs.
Rich  C.

Poke2277

Thanks for the input folks. It appears that there may be something a bit different with my circuit board, no matter, I will figure it out the old fashioned way! I will let you know what I find out.

richg

Quote from: Poke2277 on June 25, 2012, 09:07:23 PM
Thanks for the input folks. It appears that there may be something a bit different with my circuit board, no matter, I will figure it out the old fashioned way! I will let you know what I find out.

Any chance of a photo of the board with nothing plugged in?

Rich

richg

No idea on your level of electronics.

On the PC board,
R = a resistor.
D = a diode
C = a capacitor
L = a diode.

Sometimes a diode is in series with a resistor for the lighting. Has happened to me.

Rich

wjstix

Assuming the decoder is plugged in correctly, so the engine goes forward when you want it to go forward, then the light should go on when you press F0 when the engine's set to go forward (since most all decoders default to directional lighting). Only guess might be the headlight is an LED and the decoder as installed was giving it more power than it could handle (i.e. it was set for a 12V lightbulb) and that burned out the LED??