News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD45 decoder

Started by gtwman, July 14, 2012, 01:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtwman

what decoder do i use for Bachmann SD45 dcc ready locos?

skipgear

Any micro solder in decoder....Digitrax DZ125, TCS M1, Lenz Mini etc.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

skipgear

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 14, 2012, 05:47:35 PM
Or maybe even a Bachmann Decoder....
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3386

Good luck trying to get the Bachmann decoder to fit. Using a micro decoder makes it a much easier install. I ended up removing the stock lightboard I could install a DN143 (still a bit smaller than the Bachmann decoder) to do an install with ditch lights.

Tony Hines

Bucksco

The Bachmann decoder that is listed above measures 9.5mm x 5mm.
The Digitrax decoders dimensions are 10.62mm x 8.64mm and the TCS decoder is 14.4mm x 9.2mm.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Bachmann decoder is smaller than either of them.

skipgear

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 16, 2012, 04:22:13 PM
The Bachmann decoder that is listed above measures 9.5mm x 5mm.
The Digitrax decoders dimensions are 10.62mm x 8.64mm and the TCS decoder is 14.4mm x 9.2mm.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Bachmann decoder is smaller than either of them.

If that is the standard decoder that comes in the recent offerings, I believe the dimensions listed are very wrong. It may be 9.5mm wide but it's more like 25mm long, not 5mm. I believe the product page may have a typo on it. The wires coming off of the decoder are just under 1mm wide each and there are 7 of them soldered across the end. They wouldn't fit on a 5mm wide decoder. 5mm is barely .2" wide.

If Bachmann really has a 5mm x 9.5mm decoder, it would be the smallest currently produced decoder beating out the Zimo MX621 which I believe is the smallest at 12 x 8.5 x 2, (measuring by volume), by half its size.

BTW - Just trying to save the original poster some headache and keep him from buying a decoder that won't fit.
Tony Hines

Bucksco

It is not the standard decoder. The link was posted so the original poster could go and look at the dimensions. It was designed with N scale in mind. You might want to check it out.

skipgear

Quote from: Yardmaster on July 17, 2012, 07:43:04 AM
It is not the standard decoder. The link was posted so the original poster could go and look at the dimensions. It was designed with N scale in mind. You might want to check it out.

The decoder pictured in the link provided looks exactly like the standard decoder that I removed from a Heavy Mountain. I can take a picture and compare them side by side if you would like. Chip placement is the same, board proportions are the same, component count is the same. The dimentions given would equal 2:1 (length vs width) proportions, the board in the picture is closer to 3:1.

That is the standard decoder that has come in the H-4, Heavy Mountain, and 2-10-2. It is not 9.5 x 5.

Please pull one from your stock and measure it. I believe the description on the website is incorrect. I highly doubt that Bachamann has cut the minimum size of a decoder in half from previous offerings. It would be really nice if they had because it would make adding DCC to some small steam and critters a lot easier.
Tony Hines