News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 44t switcher couplers

Started by bcandh, June 13, 2012, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcandh

Does anyone know if the dummy couplers on the GE 44t switcher can be easily changed to magnetic types? If so, which type is best?

Thanks

railtwister

I'm hoping that the new Bachmann magnetic operating knuckle couplers with the short shanks (sku #78503) will fit the 44 tonner. I bought some but haven't had the time to try to install them yet. I'm really hoping they'll fit, because I had to buy a whole card of twelve pairs, because no local shops are stocking this item for individual sales. The couplers are really grossly oversized, way bigger than MTL knuckles, which are also oversized as well. My 70 tonner came with what looks like the medium length shank version of this coupler and it does seem to work reasonably well with MTL, even though it's at least twice the actual scale size of a prototype coupler.

Bill in FL

Allamuchy Joe

How about Microtrains Z scale couplers? They would definitely look better on these little engines.

skipgear

Z's can be made to fit but you have to modify the back of the coupler for clearance.

McHenry's are a direct fit and the new Bachmann's should be also. Both are a bit oversize though. I'm waiting for some of the short shank Bachmann's to try. I'm hoping they are shorter than the McHenry's. McHenry has their chance to take over the coupler market by offering many variations but they only did the standard and did't take it any farther.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

railtwister

Well, I finally got around to it, and changed out the couplers on my Bachmann N scale GE 44 ton loco. The new Bachmann magnetic operating knuckle couplers with the short shanks (sku #78503) will fit the 44 tonner as a drop in (actually a screw-in) replacement. The new Bachmann magnetic knuckles match the operating knuckle couplers found on the new locos and cars released in late 2011, and so are bigger than MTL N or Z couplers (probably more than twice correct scale size), but they do seem to work with other brands of N scale magnetic couplers. They are similar to most HO magnetic couplers in that they have a pivoting knuckle with a tiny coiled spring to keep it closed, rather than a split shank design like most N scale magnetic couplers. They are pretty ugly, but an easy no cut, no hack install for the 44 tonner, so I will put up with their ugliness until such time that MTL might make a proper conversion kit for this loco (I'm not holding my breath, since they haven't made any new conversions in several years now, and have discontinued many of the old ones). I still hope...

Bill in FL

tgcraig

Thanks so much for your information. Now, can anyone tell me why Bachman would make a locomotive with dummy couplers in the first place? Just wondering. :-\

Quote from: railtwister on June 28, 2012, 09:32:48 PM
Well, I finally got around to it, and changed out the couplers on my Bachmann N scale GE 44 ton loco. The new Bachmann magnetic operating knuckle couplers with the short shanks (sku #78503) will fit the 44 tonner as a drop in (actually a screw-in) replacement. The new Bachmann magnetic knuckles match the operating knuckle couplers found on the new locos and cars released in late 2011, and so are bigger than MTL N or Z couplers (probably more than twice correct scale size), but they do seem to work with other brands of N scale magnetic couplers. They are similar to most HO magnetic couplers in that they have a pivoting knuckle with a tiny coiled spring to keep it closed, rather than a split shank design like most N scale magnetic couplers. They are pretty ugly, but an easy no cut, no hack install for the 44 tonner, so I will put up with their ugliness until such time that MTL might make a proper conversion kit for this loco (I'm not holding my breath, since they haven't made any new conversions in several years now, and have discontinued many of the old ones). I still hope...

Bill in FL

skipgear

Quote from: tgcraig on July 16, 2012, 09:18:50 PM
Thanks so much for your information. Now, can anyone tell me why Bachman would make a locomotive with dummy couplers in the first place? Just wondering. :-\

Because they hadn't created their working coupler when the 44T originally was released. You must have a first run 44T because subsequent production runs have come with the working coupler on them.
Tony Hines

railtwister

Quote from: skipgear on July 17, 2012, 01:18:56 AM
Quote from: tgcraig on July 16, 2012, 09:18:50 PM

Because they hadn't created their working coupler when the 44T originally was released. You must have a first run 44T because subsequent production runs have come with the working coupler on them.

Note to tgcraig;

No telling why the dummy couplers, but maybe the answer is similar to the answer for the question as to why they would make their new operating couplers so grossly over-sized that they can barely mate up with the Micro-Trains couplers (which are over-sized themselves). With those couplers, it looks more like the prototype for the Bachmann model was a Lionel 3-rail loco rather than a real one.

Note to skipgear;

You are correct, it is an earlier run of the loco. Any idea how the body is held on in these locos? I tried to get it off, only to have both trucks come off accidentally in the process. This gave me room enough for me to swap the couplers, but I still would like to be able to remove the shell. Prying carefully with screwdriver & Xacto knifr didn't do it, and the exploded drawing in the instruction sheet didn't help.

Bill in FtL

skipgear

The shell is just a friction fit over the mech. It is fairly tight though.
Tony Hines