News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Atlas Code 83 Super Switch - DCC question.

Started by rogertra, July 28, 2012, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

I'm new to DCC and have noticed that of the steam locos I am using for testing, a Spectrum 4-8-2 Heavy Mountain, a Spectrum 2-8-0 and a couple of Bachmann Alco 2-6-0s, the 2-6-0s generally have no issue crossing the frogs of the switches but the 4-8-2 and the 2-8-0 both slow down until they have crossed the switch's frog.

As both the 4-8-2 and 2-8-0 have wheel bases longer than the 2-6-0 and my diesels, I'm at a loss as to why the steam would slow down going over the frogs. 

Any ideas?

Joe Satnik

Divergent route, straight route, or both?
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

railtwister

rogertra,

Perhaps the slowdown may be due to extra friction incurred by the longer wheelbases in the curve of the switch, or tighter back-to-back clearances at the points and guard rails. How's the lateral play on the center drivers?

It also could be caused by momentary loss of contact by the longer wheelbase locos as they go through the turnout due to slight differences in elevation of the rails which cause the loco to have to rock or twist.

Bill in FtL

rogertra

Problem happens on both routes.

Checked switches and they all appear to be flat with no humps.  I'm very careful when it comes to laying track.  :-)

I have also checked the check rail clearances and also clearances in the frogs themselves and they all appear to meet NMRA standards.

I'll check the play on centre drivers and report back.

Thanks for the tips.

Joe Satnik

Frog powered or un-powered?

If powered, by what means?

Nice description of Super Switch vs. Custom Line Switch in this auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-506-6-Right-Super-Switch-Code-83-HO-Scale-/170604179247?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item27b8cd2f2f

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Len

One thing left out of the Super-Switch description is they are mainly intended for mainline use, especially for mainline cross overs. The Custom-Line #6 has the diverging route cut back so it takes less space when used to build yard ladders.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rogertra

Quote from: Len on July 30, 2012, 04:48:53 PM
One thing left out of the Super-Switch description is they are mainly intended for mainline use, especially for mainline cross overs. The Custom-Line #6 has the diverging route cut back so it takes less space when used to build yard ladders.

Len

Not a problem.  If required, I just trim the switches  to suit their locations.  I've even curved two of them by removing the webbing between the ties, except at the frog and curved the switches to suit their locations.  I never look at an item, be it track, a locomotive, a freight car or a building kit as a finished item.  If they don;t suit what I need, I modify them.  When I buy a building kit I buy it for the parts.  I take it home, open the package, throw away the instructions and put the walls in the walls box, the roofing in the roofing box, the windows in the window box etc., etc..  It becomes just a collection of parts.

But when it comes to switches, I prefer the Super Switch over the Custom Line for both the Super Switch's configuration and the fact it doesn't have those funny looking ties at the end, which I cut off anyway.

Joe Satnik

Dear Roger,

Out of the package, what are the points rails and closure rails (electrically) connected to?

Is your (metal) frog powered or un-powered?

If powered, by what means?

Do you have any means to measure the DCC (signal) current coming out of your controller (or booster if applicable) to the track?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik