E-Z Command Voltage and ALCO FA2 Diesel with Sound On Board Not Working

Started by paco62, June 15, 2012, 09:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco62

I purchased Bachmann's Digital Commander Set with E-Z Command.  I also have the ALCO FA2 Diesel Loco with DCC Sound On Board.  It ran fine on my DC set.  I was able to program the two DCC loco's that came with the set and they work just fine.  When I put the ALCO on the track, it sounds like the sound decoder "kicks on" and the lights go on, but there is no sound and then the lights flash 10 times and go dark.  After several seconds, they will flash 10 times and then go out.  The train will not move or respond to programming.  It still works fine on DC and the sound does what it's supposed to.  I have seen small sparks when trying to put the loco on the DCC track, but not every time (and that could be me crossing the wheels on the track.  I am a noob.).  I am trying the ALCO alone on the track, that is, I am not trying to get it to work with other locos or stock on the track.  The DCC, non-sound locos can both be run on the track without any problems.

I searched this and found some similar threads that talked about the decoder being bad, but the loco manual states that, "when track voltage exceeds 21 volts, the decoder will automatically shut off the sound and motor and flash the front and rear lights..."  That sounds exactly like what's happening on the DCC setup.

Any ideas?  I found posts here and there that mentioned that E-Z Command puts out a lot more voltage than it should, but I cannot verify and it would be tremendously disappointing if that was the case.  Is there any way to test that and are there lower voltage power packs I could purchase?

Thanks in advance for any help.

paco62

So, I was perusing the SoundTraxx User Guide PDF, and found this:

"...Tsunami monitors a number of its input signals and if a fault is found, reports an error code by flashing the fault light as well as the headlight and backup light (if connected). The number of times the light flashes corresponds to the number of the error code. Error codes whose conditions can usually be solved by the user are as follows:

Error 10 - Over voltage fault
An Over-voltage fault indicates that the track voltage is greater than 22 volts. When this error occurs, motor control and sound will be shut off and the error code will continue to flash until the voltage is brought below 22 Volts. Note: Tsunami's absolute maximum voltage input is 27 volts! Track voltages exceeding 27 volts may cause permanent damage to the decoder."

So my lights flashing 10 times should verify that the E-Z command is putting a higher than needed/normal track voltage.  Pretty disappointing that Bachmann makes a system that doesn't work with it's own (or it's approved affiliates) products.

Is there a simple way to remedy this, or am I out $160+ system to not run a DCC Sound Enabled Loco?  I am not really electronically inclined, so I am looking for a solution that doesn't require me building a transformer or soldering a bunch of diodes.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks.

the Bach-man

Dear Paco,
Give service a call. If they can't walk you through this, they'll see you get a new one. (If you bought it locally, the dealer should replace it right away.)
Thanks!
the Bach-man

paco62

That's encouraging.   Thanks.  Are you referring to the controller, transformer, or actual locomotive?  Thanks again.

paco62

I am using the E-Z Command Controller with the included power pack, model: AC1601000.  It's all the same stuff that came with the Digital Commander set, nothing fancy.  All the track is Bachmann nickel (what came with the set) and there aren't any remote turnouts or anything fancy installed. 

The loco still runs great on the regular DC controller, but when I switch to DCC I get the 10 flashing lights.  I tried the power pack that came with the DC set (same model number) with the same results, so it's seems to be either in the controller box, or the the loco.  What makes me think it might be the controller is that the loco is flashing the error message I listed in an earlier post, indicating too much voltage. It is sending the error code correctly, so I don't think the decoder is bad. 

Jerrys HO

paco62,

What is the model # on the FA2? could it be it is not DCCon board and maybe DCCready?
If your other loco's are fine I would believe it's not the controller.
Did you open it up and look for a decoder?

Jerry

Trying to help as you had 40 views with no answer yet!
Lot's of possibilities, only one fix.

paco62

Jerry -

Appreciate any help and ideas.

It is Item no: 64704 "HO" ALCO FA2 Diesel Loco L&N.  DCC Sound On Board.  It states on the side that it is for use with all NMRA/NEM-Compliant DCC systems.

As posted previously, I've read that the E-Z Command delivers more voltage than it should to the track.  The DCC Sound On Board DCC locos have a cutoff at 21 volts that shuts down the sound and motor, then flashes the lights in error code.  I don't think regular, non-sound DCC locos have that (but am not sure).  I don't know how to test with a voltmeter, to see what it is putting to the tracks, nor do I know what it normal. 

The loco works great on the DC system.  Sound, lights, and all.  I don't know if that controller sends a lower voltage as the power pack and wires are the same as the DCC system. 

Jerrys HO

paco,

I have the EZ controller and run Bachmann S4 with sound and a MTH SD70ACE with sound. I have not had any problems with either.
If there is a local hobby shop or train club near by maybe you could ask them to check it for you.
The sound loco's require more power to operate, but my EZ Command handle's them just fine. I have the booster but have not installed it yet.
I still think it's in the loco. As the Bachmann said give service a call.

Jerry

paco62

Will do.  Thanks for the information.  I will post results once I get ahold of them (I have to wait until tomorrow). 

Jerrys HO

paco,

Keep checking back as other's may have a solution. If not don't get discouraged Bachmann makes good on their products.
Sorry I could not be of more help.

Jerry

paco62

Update:  Thought I would give another one a shot, so I went up to my LHS and bought Item no: 51804 ALCO 2-6-0 Steam Loco DCC Sound On Board.  Set it up with the E-Z Command and...no sound or motor, just 10 flashing lights. 

I will call Bachmann tomorrow as it appears to be the controller. 

On the plus side, these things work great with DC.  The sound is still very cool, you just can't control it.  It makes the experience even more engaging. 

Thanks all, for the help.

Bucksco

Have you tried the DCC locos that came with the set again? It is possible to damage the electronics in the EZ Command controller by plugging the power connection into the controller while the transformer is plugged into a wall outlet (this is called out in the instruction manual and on the DVD that comes with the unit).

paco62

Yes.  I have been careful not to do that and both the DCC locos that came with the set work great, both on DC and DCC.

jward

this almost sound like a current draw issue. sound equipped locomotives draw alot more current than non-sound ones do.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

paco62

The instructions from the manaul are as follows: "After the track connections are complete, plug the Wall Pack Power Supply into a standard 110 volt wall outlet.  Plug the wire from the Wall Pack Power Supply into the socket on the E-Z Command controller labeled "16V AC IN".

I have been careful to do it in order each time.  That being said, it also states that there is an on/off switch on the underside of the E-Z Command Control.  Mine does not have that.  I would say either the manual or controller is out of date, so who knows.