News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

"Sound" problem with my new Gen 6 Annie

Started by emjayw, June 16, 2012, 07:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjayw

Took my almost new Gen 6 Annie out of the box today to run it for my grandson only to find I couldn't get it to chuff.  It chuffed once while installing the battery but not at all under power.  Checked all wires multiple times, checked that the switch was "down", still no chuffs.  Any places to look for trouble?  It worked fine when it was put away in late March.  Mike in TX  ???

Loco Bill Canelos

Mike, did you check the switch and volume control under the tender??  In most cases it is usually one of the switches or the volume that is the problem.  Also be absolutely sure you are using a fresh battery.  There have been cases where even new batteries have lost enough power to cause problems.

After rechecking all of the above if it still doesn't work lets us know. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

emjayw

Everything's been checked out numerous times with new battery, etc.  Still only getting a single "chuff" when installing the battery, nothing under power.  I may have to send the Annie back to Bachmann as it worked fine the first time I ran it several months ago.  Mike in TX

Loco Bill Canelos

There is one common mistake many folks make which I forgot to mention.  The 9 volt battery MUST be placed in the battery box in the correct polarity.  It is easy to make this same mistake twice and I have done it myself.  There should be a marking to show how the battery goes in.  If not try the battery both ways and be sure the battery contacts in the floor of the tender are bent up high enough to contact the battery.

If not...
The problem may be with the chuff sensor.  It is the wire coming from the tender to the loco marked SOUND.  To tell if the chuff sensor is the problem Unplug the sound wire from the loco.  With a fresh battery and the volume all the way up and the switches in the on position, use a small bare wire and stick one end in one of the little holes on the plug.  Then bend it over and insert the other end in the other hole You should hear a chuff each time you put the wire in the other hole.  If you hear a chuff the problem will be with the chuff sensor.  If you still hear nothing then the problem is in the tender.

If it is in the chuff sensor, you can open up the bottom plate and see the two wires from it going to the rear drivers which have an axle with metal contacts. There will be bronze or brass wipers attached to the wires and the chuff occurs each time the wipers contact the metal part of the axle.  Check to be sure the wires are connected to the wipers and that the wipers are pressing against the axle. 

If all the wires in the tender are OK and none of this works it is time to call Bachmann  Service.

Good luck!

emjayw

Thanks Bill, I had the battery in right.  I turned the loco over and looked at the bottom plate but this version 6 looks to have quite a few screws to remove before it opens up to inspection.  I'll try the "jumper" trick first.  Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

Agree, don't do anything you don't have to do.  If you need to, getting the bottom cover off isn't as bad as it might look.