News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Driver repair

Started by Mapstone, March 27, 2012, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapstone

Has anyone developed a method for the repair of old Bachmann 4-8-4 drivers ?

richg

Quote from: Mapstone on March 27, 2012, 03:01:48 PM
Has anyone developed a method for the repair of old Bachmann 4-8-4 drivers ?

Question is too general. What kind of repair?

Rich

Jim Banner

Mapstone,
Are you talking about the drivers with with stub axles that fit into plastic connectors to keep the drivers properly aligned and spaced?  I think these were used in a 4-8-4 that was originally manufactured by Lionel in H0 scale and later picked up by Bachmann when Lionel got out of H0.  I have repaired both the Lionel and Bachmann versions when the plastic connector piece slit with age and am willing to write it up if you can confirm that this is the type of locomotive and the problem you are having.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

JRG1951

Jim,

I would be interested in your methods.  I have experienced this problem and I'll bet many others have too.

There is a related recent post to this question at:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20221.0.html

Regards & Thanks,
John

DK Tom

Hello Jim.

I would like to see your writeup on repairing the drive wheel connectors as well.
This seems to be a general problem with these old models.

Thanks

Tom Larsen
Holte, Denmark

Doneldon

Jim, JRG and Tom-

This is the same question asked by the same person and answered in the thread cited by JRG.

-- D

DK Tom

Doneldon.

If you read the cited tread, you'll se that the "solution" mentioned is to swap the drive with another.
Jim describes a way to repair the locomotive, not quite the same and hopefully a lot cheaper.  ;)

Jim Banner writes:
"I have repaired both the Lionel and Bachmann versions when the plastic connector piece slit with age and am willing to write it up if you can confirm that this is the type of locomotive and the problem you are having."

Thanks

Tom Larsen
Holte, Denmark