News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Converting DC engine to DCC

Started by wsl3cpa, June 27, 2012, 01:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsl3cpa

I have a Maryland & Pennsylvania 4-6-0 #27 made by Bachmann that did not come DCC equipped like my Maryland & Pennsylvania 4-4-0's #'s 4,5 and 6 that were also made by Bachmann.  Can I convert the 4-6-0 to DCC, and if so, how do I do it?  I am not the world's brightest bulb, so I hope the conversion will be easy.

Doneldon

ws-

Your Bachmann Ten-wheeler should be plug 'n' play so the decoder install should be a breeze. The biggest problem will likely be finding your way into the tender where the electronics are carried. Check your schematic for that.

I urge you to go to several manufacturers' websites to see what they offer as sound decoders. Most will incude motion control,which will probably be better than what Bachmann offers. Those websites should have the details you need to complete your task.

Good luck!
                        -- D

wsl3cpa

Thank you.  If I understand you correctly, I can also put sound into this ter wheeler.

richg

The large driver 4-6-0 will be  little easier install than the small driver 4-6-0.
I have done the small driver 4-6-0.
Go look at the SoundTraxx site for decoder recommendations.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step3.php?t=ho&s=Bachmann

Some here might consider putting this link in when they answer a message like this as Bachmann favors the SoundTraxx decoders.
There are cheaper brands also but I will not post them here.

I order from Litchfield.

http://www.litchfieldstation.com/xcart/home.php

The below fellow might have an installation page. Also, look in Curriculum for a lot of good DCC sound info.

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich

rogertra

Do not assume that the 4-6-0s are DCC ready.

I have two of each and neither of them are "DCC Ready".

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on June 27, 2012, 10:27:51 PM

Are you refering to the Spectrum low driver 53" and high driver 63" 4-6-0's. I have a number of these that I bought when they first came out in the black box.

They were all dcc ready and all I had to do was take out the plug and put in the dcc decoder.

Let us ask the Bachmann, were not all of the Spectrum 4-6-0's dcc ready when they first came out?

Pacific Northern

wsl3cpa

This ten wheeler is the 53" driver model.  I will probably go inside of the tender this weekend to see if all I have to do is puul the plug and pop in the DCC decoder.  Thanx to everyone for your help.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: wsl3cpa on June 29, 2012, 02:04:40 PM
This ten wheeler is the 53" driver model.  I will probably go inside of the tender this weekend to see if all I have to do is puul the plug and pop in the DCC decoder.  Thanx to everyone for your help.

I have a couple of these. I bought one with the Soundtrax installed, when it came I checked out how the decoder and speaker were mounted. Soundtraxx makes a baffle just for this engine. It is not a hard install.

These ten wheelers are the base engines for my layout. Fantantastic little engines.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 29, 2012, 12:07:27 AM

Are you refering to the Spectrum low driver 53" and high driver 63" 4-6-0's. I have a number of these that I bought when they first came out in the black box.

They were all dcc ready and all I had to do was take out the plug and put in the dcc decoder.

Let us ask the Bachmann, were not all of the Spectrum 4-6-0's dcc ready when they first came out?

Perhaps you are correct, they may in fact be DCC ready but as I've never unpacked them and there's no indication on the boxes that they are indeed "DCC Ready" then when I do come to open them I may be in for a pleasant surprise.  :)

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on June 29, 2012, 04:40:46 PM

Perhaps you are correct, they may in fact be DCC ready but as I've never unpacked them and there's no indication on the boxes that they are indeed "DCC Ready" then when I do come to open them I may be in for a pleasant surprise.  :)

You are right that there is nothing on the black box indicating that they are DCC ready. However, when you open the tender you will find the Bachmann electrical curcuit box with the 8 pin decoder with the dummy pin in it.

These engines were never offered in a DCC on board version, just dcc ready or with the sound installed.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on June 29, 2012, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: rogertra on June 29, 2012, 04:40:46 PM

Are you referring to the Spectrum low driver 53" and high driver 63" 4-6-0's. I have a number of these that I bought when they first came out in the black box.

You are right that there is nothing on the black box indicating that they are DCC ready. However, when you open the tender you will find the Bachmann electrical circuit box with the 8 pin decoder with the dummy pin in it.

These engines were never offered in a DCC on board version, just dcc ready or with the sound installed.

Yes!!!!!!!!  :)   You are correct.  I decided to open up a box and lo and behold, 8 pin DCC socket.  Trouble is, I don't have any 8 pin DCC decoders.  :( 

Ah well, hobby supplier next week I guess.

Wonder how many other unopened boxes I have that contain steam and or diesel that are DCC ready?  Mmmmmm.