News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Momentum FA2

Started by steelrail, June 28, 2012, 06:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelrail

Can the momentum be changed on the FA2 ? If so what CV ? Mine jumps with each speed step change , not smooth at all. Thanks .

richg

Read the document for this loco. You can download it from the Bachmann site.

Rich

richg

What brand DCC controller are you using? Check your manual.
You really need to post more info when you have a question. Helps with troubleshooting.

All I know is that your DCC controller sets the momentum. My NCE Power Cab has momentum, up/down buttons.

Anytime I have an issue with a decoder, I do a decoder reset and go from there.

Rich

steelrail

It's the factory decoder in the Bachmann FA2 , a budget soundtraxx I believe , and a Prodigy express.

Many decoders have 2 CV's that can be adjusted for "momentum". One adjusts how fast the loco reaches the selected speed. Rather that instantly jumping to the selected speed as mine does the loco will slowly (depending on the value programmed in ) build up momentum until it  reaches the selected speed. The opposite for braking is programmed into the second CV .

I was just wondering if this is available in these decoders as the basic info provided with the loco and the sheet available here do not seem to list CV's for momentum.

jward

the cvs you want are cv3 and cv4. in all the bachmann decoders i've run across these are supported.

here are the 5 most important cvs for controlling the operating characteristics of your locomotive.

CV 2 - Start Voltage: Set this CV to adjust the start voltage so that the engine starts moving at speed step 1.
CV 3 - Acceleration rate (momentum)
CV 4 - Deceleration rate (momentum)
CV 5 - Maximum Motor voltage: adjust top speed
CV 6 - Mid Range Motor Voltage: adjust speed curve

note that not all bachmann decoders support cv5 and cv6, but they do support the others.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

steelrail

Thanks jward, CV 3 and 4 it is! Value of 25 in CV3 and 20 in CV 4 and she's now as smooth as glass .

ebtbob

Good Morning all,

The use of the term "jumps with each speed step" suggests to me that the engine is set at 28 speed steps.   Instead of changing momentum to solve that,  try to get the decoder in the 128 speed step.   
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

steelrail

ebtbob,

128 SS is the first thing I tryed, helped but still a noticable jump with each speed change . I have a small layout so I run short trains at slow speeds. Mostly the lower half of the throttle range so 28 SS is better choice for me. Tweeking the momentum CV's smoothed every thing out and allows me to use the 28 SS setting .

bapguy

Down load the Soundtraxx Diesel users guide from their web sight. One thing to try is to program the decoder to use a speed table. I think it's CV25. There are 15 factory ones pre set and a user adjustable one. Also if your lay out has a continous run run the loco in one direction for about 20 minutes at slow speed. Increase the speed to half and run 20 minutes or so. Then run at top speed or close to it for another 20 minutes. Repaet the above running the loco in reverse. This helps break in the drive train. I use a Digitrax PR3  with Decoder Pro to program my Tsu decoders. I set up a speed curve to limit the top speed. This is a great program to use.  Joe.