Lighting for HO Scale layouts

Started by bigjoe11a, June 27, 2012, 09:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

I wanted to add street lights to my layout. Its just that the ones I find on ebay tell me not to run then any more then 30 minutes or they will melt. If this is the case. How can other layouts I have seen can run lighting all night long.

Is there street lighting that I can run longer then 30 minutes or all night long that don't cost an arm and leg and won't melt.

Joe

Jhanecker2

The most modern street lights are lamped with LED s , many people run their lights  in series  to reduce the amount of power each lamp  consumes.  Check out the current  Walters Reference Catalog  in their lighting section  for lighting.  J2.

Doneldon

bj-

Did I really call you that?

Most hobby LEDs run at 4.5 volts and about 20 ma. At that rate, you can probably run one for a couple of years for a penny. Even with dozens of street lights, structure lights, animations, etc., you won't notice an effect on your electric bill. Indeed, your motors, which consume very little current themselves currently (sorry), will actually be the big electricity consumers on your pike. Unless you're building a monster layout which will be operating many hours daily, power consumption is inconsequential. I'd bet that all of the power we use on standard home layouts in a lifetime, at least with smaller gauges, costs less than a simple diesel locomotive model. (Would someone like to do the math on that? I'm too lazy.)
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

bigjoe11a

Ok, so what you guys are saying that the more lights lights I run. The longer I can run them. The other thing I did read was that the lighting I been looking at supports 6 volts. and the power pack puts out 16 volts. will this be a problem. Sense I'm sending 16 volts threw the wires any way.

Joe

jward

here are two things to look for:

1. brass rather than plastic construction. if you can get brass to melt with your light bulbs, you've got more to worry about than just your streeet lights.

2. led's rather than bulbs. i won't buy a signal with bulbs anymore. led's consume less power, produce almost no heat, and last almost forever. ever try to change a small bulb in a streetlight or signal? i have and it is a royal pain.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bigjoe11a

Ok, can you tell me where I can buy street lights that are brass a LED. at a good price. Thanks again

Joe

jward

look at www.walthers.com for tomar and nj international. this will give you an idea what is out there. then you can search for those items that interest you online. the walthers site will list the items at msrp.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

bj-

Good Lord! I did it again. Have I no shame?

You don't need brass if you have LEDs as they produce virtually no heat (the factor which makes them so efficient compared to other lights, even fluorescent). Brass signals, like the Tomar signals mentioned by Jeff Ward, are very expensive, more so if they reflect the circumstances on your layout, and more yet again if they actually control your trains. However, you specifically mentioned street lights.

There are some Chinese sellers on ebay who have spectacular prices on streetlights (and similar merchandise but no train control fixtures the last time I looked) and who are reliable sellers, based on my experience with them. If the idea of buying items manufactured in China bothers you, well, you are out of luck. Virtually all of the merchandise sold by diversified manufacturers (Bachmann, Athearn, Model Power, Proto, etc.), and even many specialty manufacturers, is made in China or, increasingly, Korea.

I used to joke that I couldn't recall the last time I bought something not made in China, other than milk, bread and eggs. Well, guess what? It turns out that it's cheaper to produce eggs in China and ship them here in refrigeration than to feed chickens in Arkansas. The eggs we buy in the grocery stores are domestic but commercial eggs (mostly pre-shelled or dried) come from China. Think of that the next time you have a classic American favorite like chocolate cake!
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Doneldon on June 27, 2012, 04:29:46 PM
bj-

Good Lord! I did it again. Have I no shame?

You don't need brass if you have LEDs as they produce virtually no heat (the factor which makes them so efficient compared to other lights, even fluorescent). Brass signals, like the Tomar signals mentioned by Jeff Ward, are very expensive, more so if they reflect the circumstances on your layout, and more yet again if they actually control your trains. However, you specifically mentioned street lights.

There are some Chinese sellers on ebay who have spectacular prices on streetlights (and similar merchandise but no train control fixtures the last time I looked) and who are reliable sellers, based on my experience with them. If the idea of buying items manufactured in China bothers you, well, you are out of luck. Virtually all of the merchandise sold by diversified manufacturers (Bachmann, Athearn, Model Power, Proto, etc.), and even many specialty manufacturers, is made in China or, increasingly, Korea.

I used to joke that I couldn't recall the last time I bought something not made in China, other than milk, bread and eggs. Well, guess what? It turns out that it's cheaper to produce eggs in China and ship them here in refrigeration than to feed chickens in Arkansas. The eggs we buy in the grocery stores are domestic but commercial eggs (mostly pre-shelled or dried) come from China. Think of that the next time you have a classic American favorite like chocolate cake!
                                                                                                                                                         -- D

Ok, do you know of a good seller. One that has good prices. I check the last post out and Yes. I can't a ford the prices. Maybe you can point me in the right direction. Thanks

Joe

richg

If it is not obvious, HO questions might be better in the HO forum.

I will lead you up to the below link. Look though the links yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/6uyu7e6

Rich

Jerrys HO

big joe,

I don't know what Doneldon keeps doing but I won't copy him. ;D

Here is what I believe Big D was trying to tell you to look at....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T25-30-pcs-Model-street-lights-75mm-white-light-LED-12V-model-lamppost-lamp-/120919690721?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c27600de1#ht_843wt_754

LED's are the best for lighting nay plastic or wooden structure's on your layout. If you do a search on this forum there is a lot of info you can read up on.

Jerry

bigjoe11a

Thank you very much. That helps. I fount what I was looking for. I Hope. I'll have to call them and find out if it's what I'm looking for.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Jerrys HO on June 27, 2012, 05:23:30 PM
big joe,

I don't know what Doneldon keeps doing but I won't copy him. ;D

Here is what I believe Big D was trying to tell you to look at....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T25-30-pcs-Model-street-lights-75mm-white-light-LED-12V-model-lamppost-lamp-/120919690721?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item1c27600de1#ht_843wt_754

LED's are the best for lighting nay plastic or wooden structure's on your layout. If you do a search on this forum there is a lot of info you can read up on.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, How ever that's way too much. I'm still paying in the DCC Train set I got earlier last month. I mean $30.00 for street lights. WOW.

Jerrys HO

bj,

QuoteI fount what I was looking for. I Hope. I'll have to call them and find out if it's what I'm looking for.

I don't quite know what you are looking for but I use these for most of my structure's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-25pc-3mm-Dia-Clear-Lens-LED-Bulb-White-light-/380432254220?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item589387850c#ht_1342wt_698

Radio Shack if there is one by you also carry an assortment of LED's

Jerry

Doneldon

bj-

Oh, jeez ...

Jerry's post is a good place to start. If you read through the listing, the street lights are 3" tall, the equivalent of a roughly 22' street light. That's not for a freeway interchange, perhaps, but it should be just fine for a commercial or residential district. Also, do notice that most of the Chinese LEDs are already equipped to operate on 12 volts so you don't need to find a 4.5 volt power supply or use batteries.

You can find more items if you click on the link near the upper right corner which says see seller's other items. And, the small blue and red printing right above the picture shows the selection tree which led to the category where these lights are found. By clicking on the last item in this line you can move "up" a level and access what other sellers have in the same category (in this case HO model train scenery).

I wouldn't count on calling the seller; he's in China. Also, a dollar each for the lights is an excellent price, much cheaper than anything you'll find stateside. And he ships free! Of course, that's because the Chinese government makes it as easy and inexpensive as possible for Chinese merchants to sell to the US and the rest of the world.
                                                                                                       -- D