News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Mogul and Ten Wheeler Questions

Started by MarkInLA, June 27, 2012, 11:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInLA

Hi gang, I have already had Bachmann replace a mogul with a drive train problem with another mogul..The new one runs OK..I didn't realize until after purchase that it wasn't Spectrum as is my Ten Wheeler...A few questions: 1) on mogul right side crosshead ( sliding part at end of piston rod) jiggles top to bottom when rolling/piston moving in and out..It behaves like a teensy mirror and reflects room light off it. Is there any way short of another return to Bachmann, to firm this up ? Can rivet be crimped tighter without ruining the valve gear ? 2) Can I assume brake squeal can not be added by say, changing bit and byte values/CVs/forfeiting some other sound function  in decoder ? 3) Can whistle in Ten Wheeler be made more staccato , more boop boop than whooo whooo as it now is ? 4) While lubing axles and rods, is it required to lube motor shaft bearings which would require shell removal ? Worm and gear I'm assuming are self lubing delrin or such..  
Thanks for your help,  
Mark in L. A.    :-X

railtwister

Mark,

Assuming there isn't already lube on the motor shaft bearings from the motor factory, then consider that the motor shaft is the point of highest RPM in the drive train, and so, is likely to be the place that will wear the most without proper lube. If you hear a squeal when running, it will probably be coming from this point. A needlepoint oiler is the best way to reach these bearings. The same is true for most geared appliances with sleeve bearings, such as an electric drill. If you haer a squeal, stop running immediately and lube the bearings. A squeal means you are hearing wear as it happens.

Bill in FL