News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Putting blocks on EZ track

Started by wilson44512, June 29, 2012, 02:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertdweller

jward,

That is how I wire mine, and if I were to use DCC, that is still how I would do it.  The main difference between your drawing and my method of wiring is I run a common rail bus around the layout with multiple feeders to the common rail.  Although I do not use DCC, I think performance is improved with multiple common rail feeders to a bus.  It lessens the dependence on electrical contact through rail joiners.

The railroad shown in the drawing would even be simpler than many, as it does not incorporate a reverse loop.

I connect my common rail feeder wires to my bus wire using suitcase connectors.  For the other side, the controlled block feed wires, I use Radio Shack barrier strips with Radio Shack forked spade connectors.  I use two barrier strips for each wire run: one to connect the short wires from the Selectors to the long wiring runs; the other to connect the long wires to the short track feeder wires.  This makes it easier to trace wires and dewire/rewire the layout if I ever need to make changes.  In the same way, I use barrier strips to extend the run of my switch machine wires.  To help keep things straight, I label all connections in ink on the underside of the layout next to the barrier strips.

On my railroad, all wiring in the common rail side is black insulated wire.  Wire for the controlled side is red.
Anything like that to help keep it straight what wire does what may keep you from having to repeatedly pop up to the layout surface like a prairie dog.

An advantage of being able to positively kill power to a track section is, if you are like me, you like to keep a loco nearby on a track you are working on, to test electrical continuity and smoothness of trackwork.  I have a bad habit of laying tools on the tracks near where I am working.  This causes no problem if there is no current in the rails, but could lead to a nasty short otherwise.

Les

jward

i agree about multiple connections to the common rail. redundancy is good when it comes to wiring.

my actual wiring on the common rail differs somewhat. i ga[ the common rail for signal blocks, which arew different from electrical blocks. fpr example, the switches on the mainline at the sidings and the entrance to the yard would get their own seperate blocks, because any signals would be placed before the switches per the real railroads.  until i can install detection circuits all these "signal block" wires are jumpered together to form the common rail. eventually, the wires will be seperated, and a detector circuit will be installed on each. the common wire from the controller will be connected to the ground side of the circuit.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA