News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Real water in scenery

Started by railsider, June 29, 2012, 10:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on June 30, 2012, 03:56:32 PM
Are you using the real brand name "Homasote 440" or are you purchasing a similar pressed paper product that is NOT branded "Homasote 440".

Roger-

I've been a model Railroader for nearly 60 years and I touched my first Homasote-branded pressed insulation board in 1959. That's long enough that I know what Homasote is but not so long than I can't remember what it is. As Jeff pointed out, things don't always work in the real world the same as they work in a controlled environment like a lab.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  -- D

rogertra

I guess this is a case of YMMV but I can say I've never had a problem with Homasote, ever.

M1FredQ

If you want real water. I would recommend Garden or outside railroading.

A farmer a few miles from our home has a Outdoor Railroad Club. It is a huge

sight to see and has real water falls, watermills etc with r/c Tugboats.

It is an incredible sight

BUT

it is outside!!!!  The trains run near the water but not close enough to cause problems.

I
The club members all say no-way would they do this in-doors.

Also it's all G-Scale !!!!!!!

CNE Runner

I used Homasote and kiln-dried wood to build the benchwork of the layout that used to be in one of our garages. This layout had to endure all kinds of temperatures and humidity (we live in northeastern Alabama...the land of humidity). All the wood was sealed with polyurethane. The Homasote was left as is...before eventually covered with scenery. I experienced no problems with expansion.

The key seems to be that one must be sure to be using 'Homasote' and not a knockoff brand. I had to order several sheets, from our local lumber yard, because Homasote is not readily available in the South (while we are on the subject...neither is 2" Styrofoam).

I don't believe I could recommend using real water on an indoor layout. First of all water doesn't 'scale' and can look ridiculous in anything other than G-scale. Secondly, the end results/problems don't justify the use of 'real' water. If it is aggravation you want, use one of the epoxy water substances and leave a small hole somewhere (it doesn't matter where as the epoxy will find it). Luckily I remembered to spread an old tarp under the layout or my wife would have been arrested for justifiable homicide.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"