News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

loco with sound

Started by edpb, July 02, 2012, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edpb

Some of the new Alco 2-6-0 locos come with sound.  I have a DC layout.  If I buy one of those locos, what else will I have to get in order to enable the sound?

I searched "sound" but of course I didn't find my question.  It's too elementary :)

edpb

jward

you'll need either a dcc system or a dc sound controller.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

2-8-8-4

Actually, you will have some sounds without buying anything else.  The chuff sounds start about the same time the engine starts moving in plain DC, but it starts rolling rather quickly for me.

To control the whistle and bell in DC mode, you will need to buy a sound controller.

I personally recommend the MRC Sound Controller 2.0.  It is both a power supply and a sound controller, and it operates DCC engines as well, with most but not all functions and some programming capabilities.  However, it provides a pseudo form of DCC that is not the same as full blown DCC.  It is very affordable and very easy to use for those people like myself who do not really want or need a DCC system.  The sound and lighting functions are simple push button number selections.  "0" turns lights on and off.  2 and 3 are short or long whistle.  1 is the bell.  I believe 8 mutes the sound while running.

I use the MRC Sound Controller to run my Bachmann Alco 2-6-0's.  I switch the mode to DC so my son can run it when I'm not home in plain DC, if he wishes to--otherwise the plain DC mode is essentially "off" but the unit is still powered on.  To turn the unit off completely one must unplug it or plug it into a surge protector and turn the surge protector off.

Switching to DCC mode, the engine startup sounds come on immediately and the air pumps begin making noise.  Where the MRC unit shines is operating the "dual mode" engines in DCC mode--they run exceptionally smoothly.  It's a wonderful controller for the money.

The Alco 2-6-0 has only a limited sound package but it sounds very good with the sounds it does make.  The MRC Sound Controller easily operates all the sound and lghting functions that the 2-6-0 provides.

My son and I both prefer the 2-6-0 to the Spectrum EM-1, so much so that my sound equipped EM-1 is on Ebay for sale now.  We simply love the little 2-6-0's and don't need the monster overhang of the huge engine.  The little engines for us are just more fun--and I never dreamed I'd ever say that.

Respectfully submitted--

John

richg

Quote from: edpb on July 02, 2012, 12:26:09 AM
Some of the new Alco 2-6-0 locos come with sound.  I have a DC layout.  If I buy one of those locos, what else will I have to get in order to enable the sound?

I searched "sound" but of course I didn't find my question.  It's too elementary :)

edpb

[/quote

Search for alco 2-6-0 sound. You will get many links. Search the Bachmann forums as well as the Internet. It helps to use a variety of words that might relate to what you are actually searching for.
I find considerably more train info in searches than many train forums but some search results do point to a train forum once in a while.

Rich

edpb

Jeffrey, John, and Rich -- my thanks to all.  John, as I'm not looking for DCC now, your info is especially helpful and I think tells me all I need to know right now.  I'm going to check out that MRC controller.  Thank you for taking so much time to help me out.

Ed

edpb

John, I saw and heard one of the 2-6-0s on UTube, and I saw the unsmooth acceleration you described.  Now I know why -- thanks.

Ed

2-8-8-4

Ed--

Most sound equipped engines require a certain amount of voltage for the sounds to start.  In plain DC mode, this tends to cause a somewhat "jackrabbit" start--the sounds come on and the engine starts running at pretty much the same time.  You would have a similar start from most other sound equipped engines in DC--spending a lot more money on a high fallutin' engine still does not necessarily eliminate the jackrabbit start.

That's one very big reason why I love the MRC Sound Controller.  Operating most HO engines (since most now have DCC in them) is much smoother in "DCC mode" even though it's not DCC.

No, I'm not an MRC salesperson, but I did work for several years part time in a fine train store while attending college years ago.  MRC made good products then, and has continued to do so.

There are other sound controllers out there on the market that focus on operating the sound only, but what the plain DC users like myself really need is a good power supply and speed controller also capable of working the sound to get the slow speed performance benefits of DCC.  I don't know of any one other than the MRC.

MTH's DCS system is nice but then you are using their own proprietary version of DCC.  It is a legacy product from the early days of DCC, has some advantages in that its very easy to use, but won't play well with other manufacturers engines at all.  So their DCS controller is just a plain DC power supply for non-MTH engines.  Most people now seem to be buying the MTH engines DCC ready and then adding their own choice of decoder and/or sound aftermarket.  The MTH full DCS engines do everything they say they will do, but they aren't cheap, and not everybody likes the DCS system--the hard core DCC users find it lacking--but it is simple for the Keep it simple types out there.

Respectfully submitted--

John

electrical whiz kid

Suggest you check out the August (?) issue of Model Railroader, and in it, the peosuct reviews.  [They] did a pretty comprehensive writeup on the 2-6-0 that you may want to read.
RichC.

richg

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on July 07, 2012, 07:34:24 PM
Suggest you check out the August 2012 issue of Model Railroader, and in it, the product reviews.  [They] did a pretty comprehensive writeup on the 2-6-0 that you may want to read.
RichC.

Sounds like the new Sound Value loco.

Rich

richg

The logic circuits require five volts just to wake up at about which voltage the sounds start . Maybe seven to nine volts to start moving. Nature of the beats when running on a DC layout without the suggested controller.
The MRC box is a good suggestion.

Rich

genetk44

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago, I'm using the NCE PowerCab DCC unit on my layout. I was so impressed by the sound and the quality of the locos movement that I went out the next day and bought 2 more of the locos....the excellent price helped also ;D ;D

richg

Quote from: genetk44 on July 09, 2012, 02:05:03 PM
I bought one of these 2 weeks ago, I'm using the NCE PowerCab DCC unit on my layout. I was so impressed by the sound and the quality of the locos movement that I went out the next day and bought 2 more of the locos....the excellent price helped also ;D ;D
[/quote

Yes, I have had the Power Cab for a few years and does everrything I like,

Rich