News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N&W K2

Started by Eman627, July 02, 2012, 03:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eman627

Hello all, I was wondering just how hard it would be to scratchbuild/kitbash a N&W class K2/K2a, with streamlining. I presume that it could be possible to modify a Bachmann Spectrum class J shell to fit a Bachmann Spectrum USRA 4-8-2 light, or heavy chassis, or, scratchbuild from styrene like in the May 2011 NMRA magazine by using similar techniques, just with a different prototype in mind.

richg

All depends on you modeling experiences. Try it.

Rich

ryeguyisme

i wouldnt suggest the bachmann spectrum shell, I'd recommend the bachmann plus shell because it can be cut down better for a more appropriate fit, its plastic. The bachmann spectrum shell is die cast and from my experience from kitbashing, the die cast shell is a whole different kind of monster to deal with as far as milling it and cutting it to fit a chassis

Doneldon

Eman-

Could you modify a Bachmann J chassis to look/work right with a two-wheel trailing truck? That would be much easier than trying to fit one model's shell on another model's chassis. It means you'll only have to purchase one locomotive, too, which should cost, oh I don't know, around half of the cost of two locomotives. And it won't leave you with a J chassis and a shell from a Mountain.

Yes, you can scratch build a whole new locomotive from styrene though I'd recommend that you build only a shell to fit a suitable functioning chassis. I'm not sure you could get the strength you'd need in a scratchbuilt styrene frame, but you'd have a problem of where to put the necessary weight into the loco even if you could. After all, such a loco would be a real puller so it would need a good deal of weight.

Whatever you try, good luck with it and let us see your progress.

-- D

RAM

If you do a search,  this was covered about a year ago.  I think he started with the old J, which is more like the K2.

Eman627

Sorry, I have been busy lately, and haven't had the time to do a search. RAM, is it on this forum or elsewhere? Also, I will post pictures as work progresses, but I have yet to aquire a suitable donor model for a good price.

RAM

Yes it is on this forum.

Eman627

This project is going to be put on hold, as my modeling interests have changed slightly. :-\

Eman627

Quote from: Eman627 on August 14, 2012, 02:15:50 PM
This project is going to be put on hold, as my modeling interests have changed slightly. :-\
It seems that my interests have changed again. I've obtained the proper style tender for a K2 (from an old Rivarossi Y6), and an old B-man plus J shell. All I need is a donor light/heavy/IHC mountain. With school in, however, I'm unable to focus my efforts entirely on it.