Putting a Camera into a Dummy locomotive/freight car?

Started by jettrainfan, June 30, 2012, 08:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jettrainfan

Went to a train show and a friend from the model train club i go to was part of a module layout group, and one of the people that had a section of the module layout had a B&O F7 dummy, looked like a athearn model, was being pushed by a B&O Shark made by Bachmann. The dummy had a hollowed out area where the head light was suppose to be. Inside, was a small camera that would record what was in front of it onto a TV. I can't remember what the make of the camera was sadly... but go figure i only remembered my friend said "you should buy one of these." Its not the first request i got to get one, and it seems like a fun project. Anyone know what this camera might've been and if it can be one where it records video, then you can transfer it to a computer? Would be neat to do this to a locomotive or a piece of rolling stock like a box car or caboose.

any help is appreciated!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

richg

Doneldon

jtf-

Check ebay, too. They often have these or other wireless lipstick cameras.

-- D

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I have seen a number of products offered over the past 10 years that gives you a "in the cab view".   Everytime the product was used it was on railroad no bigger than 4x8.   Beyond that size,  the results I have seen is not that impressive due to lack of quality signal to transmit the picture to the monitor.
       Back in January,  I purchased a small video camera at Walmart which is only about 1/4 inch wider than the Bachmann flatcar that I rubberband the camera to so I can video my railroad from a different perspective.
       I have pushed the camera around the railroad by one of my Reading T-1s and also put the camera car at the end of a 10 car gondola and flatcar train to give the illusion of the conductor's view from the caboose.
       The camera I have is a JVC Everio and cost(at the time) under $200.
It is an HD camera with a 40x optical 200M zoon.  It has a stabilizer built in and the lense is a Konica Minolta HD lens(f=2.9-116mm 1:1.8)
        One of the versions of taping my railroad is on YouTube.  It is not Alan Keller quality but it is fun to see my railroad from a totally different perspective.  If interested,  go to YouTube and put Bob Rule's railroad in the search box.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Never2manyTrains

You can try looking for place that sell surveillance or spy type cameras. I would imagine they have small lipstick cameras, or pen cameras you can attach to the locomotive without having to hollow anything out. Most would have some type of storage with the camera, and you can download it to your computer for viewing through a USB cord.
Moderator of Facebook community page: Model Trains & Railroading Tips

Contributor for:  Model Train Hobbyist Blog

Doneldon

jtf-

Another possibility is one of the little cameras which fit into model rockets. I built such a rocket with one of my grandsons and it did a really neat job of catching the flight, liftoff to crashdown. And the picture is pretty good, too, considering it's not high def and only cosst about $25 including the rocket and rocket motor. The rocket camera is a little longer than a flat car is wide but you could mount it upright on a depressed center flat just behind the loco for a view looking down the length of the train. Or, rubber band it to the rear of a covered wagon loco or even a steam engine and you could get very close to a cab view. Of course, it might be easier to do that with a lipstck camera inside the nose of a loco or mounted to a flat car ahead of a loco.

This sounds like fun. I might have to try it myself.
                                                                                    -- D

jettrainfan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

VidGuy069

Hope I'm no too late.  I use 2 - 3 cameras.  My 2 camcorders (Cannon and JVC) I place in certain placesalong the layout to get the 'overall' look.  I also place a Contour Roam on a flat car and latthe camera on it's side.  I then take one of the diesels and 'push' said flat car to get thatcab feel.  I correct the camera angle in post production.  But THAT'S for another Forum.
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.