How do you remove the front coupler on a Connie?

Started by Gary Armitstead, June 30, 2012, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Armitstead

I'm reworking a 1/20.3 Connie and need to know how to remove the coupler from the pilot. I have removed the coupler itself, but cannot see how to get the pocket removed without damaging the pilot itself. There looks to be four bolts holding the pocket, but they could be cast in place. I've looked at the drawings of the frame detail, but it's hard to tell from these if they are actual screws. Anybody done this before? ???

Kevin Strong

I don't remember exactly, but I know the Accucraft coupler pocket is a bolt-on replacement, so I don't think there was any cutting involved.

Later,

K

mickb

There are two small screws behind the coupler pocket. If you remove the entire pilot/deck (four screws underneith) they very easy to get to.
Mick

Gary Armitstead

Kevin,

I removed the COUPLER without any problems. But the pocket is STILL attached to the pilot. I don't know if its glued in place OR if its held by the four cast screws on the face of the Connie coupler pocket. I am going to use an Accucraft coupler and pocket and just bolt it in place. I just need to get the Bachmann pocket removed without damaging the pilot itself.

Mick,

I did remove the coupler with the two small screws. That's not the problem. Thank you.

Kevin Strong

I think I've still got a front pilot in my scrap box. I'll take a look when I get home.

Later,

K

Gary Armitstead

Kevin Strong

The coupler pocket is just a press fit. There are four cast-in pins that extend into the pilot. A little friendly persuasion should free it. On mine, it looked like there might have been a spot of something that might have looked like glue up in the corner, but it certainly didn't have much tooth if it was. Those four pins, incidentally are spaced precisely to match the Accucraft coupler pocket, which is why you don't need to drill any new holes when attaching the Accucraft coupler.

Later,

K

Gary Armitstead

glennk28

Does anyone have a spare Connie pilot?   I hight be able to trade one off a K-27
  Thanks--
Glenn Joesten  glenn476@4fast.net