News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Scale sized ballast

Started by ironlake, July 06, 2012, 05:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironlake

who makes a scale sized g scale ballast.  I want to mount my track for my K27 on a walnut board with scale sized ballast of the type used by the D&RGW.  Thanks in advance for any help and where to buy the ballast.

armorsmith

Many use a product called 'Chicken Starter Grit', used in agriculture for the smaller chickens or a product call decomposed granite.

Bucksco

Many folks use what is referred to as "Crusher fines". It is the fine silt that remains after rocks are crushed. Ususally available at a quarry or any place that sells decorative stone , etc....

Chuck N

The problem with crusher fines, is that they contain a lot of rock dust as well as reasonable sized chips.  I use that for my ballast outside, but he wants to make a decorative track for an inside display.  I think that the fines would be too messy for indoor display use.  In addition to possible chicken grit, try a pet shop and look at material that is sold for aquariums.

Chuck

JerryB

Chicken grit looks like . . . chicken grit! That especially on a display track.

Get some gray (granite) colored crusher fines and use a kitchen screen-type strainer to sift off the 'fines.' You will be left with scale appearing ballast for your display.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

smcgill

Did you want to mount the ballast on a display??? ???

Some people use stones ment for aquariums.
I'm using some thing called "Rice stone"  granite from a stone yard.( Outside )
But as far as what the D&RGW used no clue?
Good luck.
Post a pic when you get er done!
Sean

ironlake

Yes on a display.  I get all the ballast on as I want and then spray it with water with a drop of dishwasher soap in it and then apply a mixture of 1/2 elmers glue and i/2 water.  Overnight it will be as hard as a rock and look nice and loose just like you applied it.

Loco Bill Canelos

There are several sizes of chicken grit, and I think if you use fine it will look very nice.
Do not get the oyster shell, only the decomposed granite. Since it is a display I suggest you weather both the ballast and the track. I usually spray the track and ballast with a dusting of grey primer followed by a dusting of spray black primer.   I hand paint the sides a reddish black working from a photo, then clean the rail tops If the track is brass I also paint the rail tops with a silver color to hide the brass color.

As for color I saw whitish grey, greyish black, and a light reddish gray. Last year on the C&TS they were using new ballast I would call Tan/light grey, which was very clean looking compared to areas with the older weathered in ballast.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ironlake

where do you get chicken grit?  I live in mn so I should know but do not.

NarrowMinded

Feed and grain stores or large pet store suppliers will carry it, though the pet stores may be a lot higher priced and have it in smaller bags or boxes.

NM-Jeff

Loco Bill Canelos

Sometimes the fine is hard to get, my farm store had to order it for me.  Most Farm stores will order it.  You could try Tractor Supply, or a COOP Farm store.   It is very cheap so even if you are forced to buy a large size at a farm store it will not be a budget killer.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

ironlake

thanks guys for all the help.  this is a great forum and so friendly.  newbies like me feel treated like royalty when compared to other forums I have been on,

Kevin Strong

There's a company called Locomotion Works that makes a nice scale ballast mixed with Portland cement designed for holding ballast permanently in place. The stone is a nice scale size, and very uniform. Spread it on the track, mist it with water, and it sets up very solid in 12 - 24 hours. They'll send you a sample for a few bucks, which should be enough for a display track.

Locomotion Works
205 Mountside Drive
Columbus, NC 28722

828-712-3429

locomotionworks@gmail.com

(Their web site isn't up and running yet)

Later,

K