News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

pulling grades with helpers

Started by SierraNorthern, August 01, 2007, 03:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SierraNorthern

Hi
My layout has a 4% grade with 18" radius curves (yes I know the comments will come that such steep grades and sharp curves are a cardinal sin). However, my spectrum shay, regeared MDC climax and diesels pull  short trains up the curved grade just fine.
I would like to get some rod steam engines and am considering purchasing Spectrum's 4-6-0 (low boiler) and 4-4-0.  I know these engines will not have a chance at pulling a short train (~2-4 cars) up a 4% grade by themselves.  Do they have a chance if they are consisted in DCC and used together to pull up a short train or will the dirvers slip anyway?
Thanks

SteamGene

First of all, with steam, you are adding "helpers."  As long as they are powered, helpers will help. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Frankford el car

Not if you're modeling heavy rapid transit (subway-elevated trains, trolleys), those grades aren't a cardinal sin. And neither are the 18" radius curves. In fact, I'm using 15" radius, with Proto 1000 subway trains. Which raises a question for me. Can I retro fit Bachmann DCC decoders to these cars? And if so, can they run on the same trackage, with non-DCC-equipted subway trains that I have?
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

SteamGene

Current feeling is that it is not a good idea to have a layout that is both DCC and DC.  If you do, make sure that DCC and DC locomotives are always separated by a dead block.  That is to say, if block one is DC and block three is DCC, block two should be off.  As  the train on block three reaches block four, turn off block three and turn block two to DC, then turn block one off.   
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

Quote from: SteamGene on August 01, 2007, 04:04:28 PM
First of all, with steam, you are adding "helpers."
And with DCC, you consist them together if you want them to run together.  Running them as "helpers" implies one operator per locomotive, which is a fun way of operating and requires a great deal of skill.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Frankford el car

Nice thing about rapid transit. Almost every car in the train is powered, so with a 4, 6, or 8-car train, every unit on one throttle, is a "helper". So is it practical to link three DCC-equipted units (in this case, motored cars in a subway train) together on one address?
Chief Superintendent,

Independent Transit Co. (INT Lines)

"Have your transfer ready, for the next stop."

Jim Banner

Quote from: Frankford el car on August 01, 2007, 06:17:05 PMSo is it practical to link three DCC-equipted units (in this case, motored cars in a subway train) together on one address?

Yes.  This can be done 3 ways:
- using Basic consisting, which is simply programming all the decoders to the same address.  This works with all decoders and all command stations.
- using Decoder Assissted consisting, which is setting a special consisting address in each decoder to the same consisting address.  Not all decoders have this feature.
- using Command station based consisting, which causes the command station to send the same information to all the decoder addresses within the consist.  Not all command stations support this type of consisting.

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.